Sand question

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I had a question about a new tank I’m setting up. It’s a 120 gallon reef ready. I have 40 pounds of ocean direct sand I was gonna use in my refugium, along with Fiji mud. I decided that there would be too much flow in the fuge for sand or mud. So I was wondering if it would be possible to just use the ocean direct as the base for my sand in the display. I do want the bacteria from it, but I don’t want it blowing around, as the particle sizes can range from quite big to pretty small. For the rest of the sand I’m gonna use arag alive special grade so it doesn’t blow around. It’s an sps dominant tank so there will be quite a bit of flow (2 mp40s and 3 mp10s)
Is it worth putting in the ocean direct? Will it blow around? Or will the small particles just sift down to the bottom and the big stay on top which will keep it still?
Thanks much

Unheardreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I had a question about a new tank I’m setting up. It’s a 120 gallon reef ready. I have 40 pounds of ocean direct sand I was gonna use in my refugium, along with Fiji mud. I decided that there would be too much flow in the fuge for sand or mud. So I was wondering if it would be possible to just use the ocean direct as the base for my sand in the display. I do want the bacteria from it, but I don’t want it blowing around, as the particle sizes can range from quite big to pretty small. For the rest of the sand I’m gonna use arag alive special grade so it doesn’t blow around. It’s an sps dominant tank so there will be quite a bit of flow (2 mp40s and 3 mp10s)
Is it worth putting in the ocean direct? Will it blow around? Or will the small particles just sift down to the bottom and the big stay on top which will keep it still?
Thanks much
Depending on flow I’ve heard different sand sizes separating into different parts of the tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back