Sand-sifting Starfish Care

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that we as a whole (including myself) aren't sure. They likely do starve but with a species considered to be a generalist feeder, would it make sense that supplemental feedings would prevent (or at the very least greatly delay) death? For the record I do not think that a 10 gallon is suitable either though.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on my own personal experience. like most starfish they’re always on the “go” eating as they move and such
I agree that they probably do starve many times but if we are correct in the belief they're generalist feeders, why would it not be possible to feed them? Anthias constantly eat zooplankton in the wild yet we can maintain them in our aquariums. (I know those organisms are worlds apart in biology but my pont is that there are other constant feeders who can be kept in captivity).

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did Google the species actually and wasn't able to locate very much specific information at all. That's why I don't think you can really say one way or the other. If I were to directly contact the Baltimore aquarium what would they actually be able to tell me regarding the species? Are theirs starving and they know that the reason for death is starvation? The biology of echinoderms is so vastly different than that of practically any other organism, why do we think we just "know" that this is the case? Perhaps the differing parameters led to clumping or a reduction on coelomocytes which led to death...perhaps it does of SSWD....who knows why they commonly die without evidence or any species specific studies?
It was just a suggestion. Try AI.....Not much more that I can say, other that I have been calling on thousands of aquatic stores for years and belong to many forums such as this and the mortality rate of these creatures is very, very high. It depends on a mature sand bed and in many/most instances, the aquariums are not "dirty" enough to sustain it, hence my position on the topic.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just a suggestion. Try AI.....Not much more that I can say, other that I have been calling on thousands of aquatic stores for years and belong to many forums such as this and the mortality rate of these creatures is very, very high. It depends on a mature sand bed which in many/most instances, is not "dirty" enough to sustain it, hence my position on the topic.
I understand and I wasn't saying you were wrong, only curious where your information was from and why you were sure that was the case and the cause of death isn't attributable to any other issue such as those I mentioned.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand and I wasn't saying you were wrong, only curious where your information was from and why you were sure that was the case and the cause of death isn't attributable to any other issue such as those I mentioned.
I get that and all I can offer is my own personal experience, those of the aquatic stores and importers that I have called on and what I have read.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I believe it's starvation (in most cases) based on the fact that some species of starfish have been aquacultured successfully (parameters likely play an important role though) and that other similarly "impossible" species have been aquacultured as well (such as sand-sifting gobies and horseshoe crabs, which are considered impossible because hobbyists either don't know how or don't know what to feed them - or they just don't feed them enough).

So, I would guess that with proper feeding (i.e. with enough food of the right size and nutritional makeup being fed to the stars in a way that they would voluntarily eat it with minimal competition), they would do fine (again, in most cases).

That said, I can't prove that it's starvation at this point - it could be old age in most cases for all I know (because nobody seems to know how long most of these species actually live in the wild) - it just seems the most likely to me.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
For me, I believe it's starvation (in most cases) based on the fact that some species of starfish have been aquacultured successfully (parameters likely play an important role though) and that other similarly "impossible" species have been aquacultured as well (such as sand-sifting gobies and horseshoe crabs, which are considered impossible because hobbyists either don't know how or don't know what to feed them - or they just don't feed them enough).

So, I would guess that with proper feeding (i.e. with enough food of the right size and nutritional makeup being fed to the stars in a way that they would voluntarily eat it with minimal competition), they would do fine (again, in most cases).

That said, I can't prove that it's starvation at this point - it could be old age in most cases for all I know (because nobody seems to know how long most of these species actually live in the wild) - it just seems the most likely to me.
IM in agreement that it's likely starvation in the vast majority of cases. The fact that this is a generalist feeder makes supplemental feedings MUCH easier than some other species.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sarcasm but you are suggesting that with the "proper" feeding, with "minimal" competition, they would do "fine". Perhaps that's why their mortality rate is so high - how many in the hobby can satisfy these conditions, or even care to do so ? This starfish will live 5-10 years in captivity, under the proper conditions but in the hobby, they slowly starve and waste away within a few months, or even a year or so; at least, that's my experience.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sarcasm but you are suggesting that with the "proper" feeding, with "minimal" competition, they would do "fine". Perhaps that's why their mortality rate is so high - how many in the hobby can satisfy these conditions, or even care to do so ? This starfish will live 5-10 years in captivity, under the proper conditions but in the hobby, they slowly starve and waste away within a few months, or even a year or so; at least, that's my experience.
I think he's suggesting that he's not 100% certain either but logically if you provide the right food to any organism and it is able to consume the food it will not starve. Have you tried giving the the correct food without competition and found conclusive evidence starvation occured regardless? If so, I'd definitely begin looking deeply into the biology of starfish or echinoderms in general. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

IM in agreement that it's likely starvation in the vast majority of cases. The fact that this is a generalist feeder makes supplemental feedings MUCH easier than some other species.
Yeah, based on other species in the genus, these should probably do fine on on appropriately sized clams and/or other quality feeds.
That's pretty much what I was getting at with the post; when their needs are met, these "impossible" species do well enough to be aquacultured. So, it would seem that most hobbyists don't understand how to meet their needs (typically nutritionally), and that leads to frequent mortality - I'm assuming this is the case with these starfish.

In other words, I'm assuming that (if my current understanding of their nutritional needs is correct) these stars could be kept long term in many aquaria, but it would require the hobbyist to know what to feed and possibly for them to figure out unorthodox/atypical feeding methods to reduce competition for the starfish (i.e. just letting the star feed on whatever makes it passed the fish to the bottom of the tank probably wouldn't cut it, so they'd likely need to target feed the star, or do something like purposefully bury the stars food in the sand for them to find - I've seen a removable dish of sand mixed with food used successfully in sea cucumber aquaculture, and I'd imagine something similar could work with sand sifting stars and gobies).
I think he's suggesting that he's not 100% certain either but logically if you provide the right food to any organism and it is able to consume the food it will not starve. Have you tried giving the the correct food without competition and found conclusive evidence starvation occured regardless? If so, I'd definitely begin looking deeply into the biology of starfish or echinoderms in general. Correlation doesn't equal causation.
Yeah, if the star is eating nutritionally appropriate foods in appropriate quantities for its size, then it shouldn't starve - so if it's being fed properly and it still dies, then I would look at other potential causes. At this point, I'm inclined to believe that the cause is feeding either nutritionally inadequate feeds or feeding in inadequate quantities, but I've yet to see someone report back on their success/failure after switching diets for the star, so I can't say for certain.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to keep them before and having been in the aquatic industry for years, am lucky enough to know many experts. I do not keep deep sand beds in my systems and what I have are not "dirty" enough and have concluded that I cannot adequately provide for their health.
I do have numerous Brittle and Serpent starfish, a blue and red Linkia, a Tile and a Marble Star.
I'll add that too small an aquarium is not stable enough either.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Some people get lucky but a majority of people aren't lucky long-term and in a 10 gallon tank a majority of things are even harder.
And why do you attribute all successful attempts to luck? Much more likely is that although they're not aware of what they are doing right, something is different that makes them successful in keeping them.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to keep them before and having been in the aquatic industry for years, am lucky enough to know many experts. I do not keep deep sand beds in my systems and what I have are not "dirty" enough and have concluded that I cannot adequately provide for their health.
I do have numerous Brittle and Serpent starfish, a blue and red Linkia, a Tile and a Marble Star.
I'll add that too small an aquarium is not stable enough either.
Do you have an idea why you have kept those starfish well fed? Can you tell me what it is they need to consume in order for nutritional requirements to be met? That would be groundbreaking because I'm unaware that any researcher in the world actually knows what a Linckias for instance specifically consumes and needs to keep it alive.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how long have you had each, and do you do anything special to care for them?
I've always got several brittle and serpents and think they breed-either that, or a ton of micro-brittles. The linckias, for 2-4 years or so, the marble for longer and the tile, several months. They are in a very heavily rocked 120 and I've had the rock for over 30 years, so a very mature system. I also overfeed everything, nori is in 24/7 and I do reg water changes. I'd add any other "reef-safe" that I can find.
Always a battle w PO and N03

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always got several brittle and serpents and think they breed-either that, or a ton of micro-brittles. The linckias, for 2-4 years or so, the marble for longer and the tile, several months. They are in a very heavily rocked 120 and I've had the rock for over 30 years, so a very mature system. I also overfeed everything, nori is in 24/7 and I do reg water changes. I'd add any other "reef-safe" that I can find. To be frank, I've done no specific research on what they specifically/actually eat but just know a ton of rock and a mature system should be adequate. I have never seen them on the nori, just the rock and glass.
Always a battle w PO and N03. Pics below, can’t find the others.

IMG_5521.jpeg IMG_5522.jpeg IMG_5523.jpeg

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And why do you attribute all successful attempts to luck? Much more likely is that although they're not aware of what they are doing right, something is different that makes them successful in keeping them.
I say luck because many stars including sand sifting stars eat too much compared to what a system can reproduce for them to eat and supplementally feeding them won’t always work. So what may work for one may not work for other and some people may get lucky. Every system is different and in a 10-gallon especially it will be impossible for the system to keep up with the amount of food they eat compared to the biggest tanks and even then it’s hit or miss for a lot of people. I don’t contribute all successful attempts to luck but a lot of them yes or the person is unaware of what they are doing and it wasn’t planned and they happen to get lucky as I think that is with many people keeping stars at least those who don’t know anything about them and don’t target feed them etc.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say luck because many stars including sand sifting stars eat too much compared to what a system can reproduce for them to eat and supplementally feeding them won’t always work. So what may work for one may not work for other and some people may get lucky. Every system is different and in a 10-gallon especially it will be impossible for the system to keep up with the amount of food they eat compared to the biggest tanks and even then it’s hit or miss for a lot of people. I don’t contribute all successful attempts to luck but a lot of them yes or the person is unaware of what they are doing and it wasn’t planned and they happen to get lucky as I think that is with many people keeping stars at least those who don’t know anything about them and don’t target feed them etc.
Ok, that sounds like a fair use of the word luck and I agree that if you don't know why you're able to keep something alive without doing anything differently than others I consider you to be lucky. If you are doing something differently on the other hand and have a reason beyond suspicion to believe that's the cause of your success I'd say you're more likely doing something right if you are able to explain how what you're doing solves what you believe to be the reason others have little success. For example, I believe that the reason I've been able to keep one of my Fromia indica starfish alive for well over a year despite such little success beyond 6-8 months is due to supplement feedings. The reason I believe this to help sustain them is due to tracking the weight of the starfish monthly. I initially noticed a sharp decrease in weight which indicated slow starvation. After tweaking the feeding regimen, however, there was a consistent gain in weight every month. That leads me to conclude that since only one variable was changed it is likely the reason for the weight gain. The same was observed with 2 others of the same species at the same time. It would seem incredibly unlikely that 3 individuals of the same species would react in the same positive way if it had nothing to with the 1 variable changed.
Btw, I mentioned one has been in my care well over a year. The others are still alive though...I don't want anyone to assume that only one survived because that would indicate no problem was solved by changing that one variable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back