Sand sifting starfish / Coral Banded Shrimp?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Could of questions.

I picked up a sand sifting starfish last weekend as my sand has been looking a little average (believe it's just part of the 'ugly phase') and the LFS I went to suggested these to be a good fix for that.
So far I'm not seeing much benefit. The star I bought had a little bit of damage to one of its legs it seemed but otherwise seemed okay.
Now that it's been in the tank for nearly a week. I'm not seeing a huge improvement in the sand.

It doesn't move around too much and seems to stay in the same area toward the back of the tank. It had been dormant for a full day yesterday and did nothing (that includes from the the previous night). I thought it was dead and used my long turkey baster thingy to blow flow at it to see if it did much, it lifted a leg slightly so I knew it was alive and left it be.
This morning I woke up to see it'd moved a little (about 5-10cm) but the sand looks no better still.

Did I get a dud or am I expecting too much?
I only got the one because I was worried there might not be enough food in there if I got 2 or more (its about 50 gallon DT) and I'd never had these guys before.

Also as an addition to the clean up crew (which currently consists of the star only),
I've seen a couple of coral banded shrimp at another LFS. Listed as PR (so I'm assuming pair), and thought about maybe getting these. Was looking at just getting the one, but these 2 are the last ones at the moment and the only reason I'm considering the two.
I wouldn't say I have a huge amount of rockwork in my tank (can see my build thread - see newest posts) but it's an okay amount ?, would it still be okay to keep 2 of these or is a pair suited to a much larger tank ?
Are they usually good with other fish and corals? Any negative experiences?

Previously had a bunch of trochus/neccarius snails but wondering whether I try a different method this time around, hence the star and shrimp...

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Could of questions.

I picked up a sand sifting starfish last weekend as my sand has been looking a little average (believe it's just part of the 'ugly phase') and the LFS I went to suggested these to be a good fix for that.
So far I'm not seeing much benefit. The star I bought had a little bit of damage to one of its legs it seemed but otherwise seemed okay.
Now that it's been in the tank for nearly a week. I'm not seeing a huge improvement in the sand.

It doesn't move around too much and seems to stay in the same area toward the back of the tank. It had been dormant for a full day yesterday and did nothing (that includes from the the previous night). I thought it was dead and used my long turkey baster thingy to blow flow at it to see if it did much, it lifted a leg slightly so I knew it was alive and left it be.
This morning I woke up to see it'd moved a little (about 5-10cm) but the sand looks no better still.

Did I get a dud or am I expecting too much?
I only got the one because I was worried there might not be enough food in there if I got 2 or more (its about 50 gallon DT) and I'd never had these guys before.

Also as an addition to the clean up crew (which currently consists of the star only),
I've seen a couple of coral banded shrimp at another LFS. Listed as PR (so I'm assuming pair), and thought about maybe getting these. Was looking at just getting the one, but these 2 are the last ones at the moment and the only reason I'm considering the two.
I wouldn't say I have a huge amount of rockwork in my tank (can see my build thread - see newest posts) but it's an okay amount ?, would it still be okay to keep 2 of these or is a pair suited to a much larger tank ?
Are they usually good with other fish and corals? Any negative experiences?

Previously had a bunch of trochus/neccarius snails but wondering whether I try a different method this time around, hence the star and shrimp...
I have one they live mainly under the sand and there might be somthing wrong with if it’s above the sand. Mine goes above the sand and does the glass than goes back under. They are good for stirring the sand. They won’t clean the top of the sand.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one they live mainly under the sand and there might be somthing wrong with if it’s above the sand. Mine goes above the sand and does the glass than goes back under. They are good for stirring the sand. They won’t clean the top of the sand.

Yeah mine's been roaming around sort of the surface, it burys itself slightly though.
Doesn't clean the top? Really? I thought it was supposed to eat detritus ?

Maybe I'm confusing cyano ... Im not sure... something's growing on the sandbed and making it look gross though LOL
Edit: Prob not cyano, it's not a bright red, more of a dull browny colour

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine's been roaming around sort of the surface, it burys itself slightly though.
Doesn't clean the top? Really? I thought it was supposed to eat detritus ?

Maybe I'm confusing cyano ... Im not sure... something's growing on the sandbed and making it look gross though LOL
Edit: Prob not cyano, it's not a bright red, more of a dull browny colour
Like I see it chill on top of the sand but they mainly lay under the sand. They stir it while under which is good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back