OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its beautiful still. When I was diving I saw reefs that looked about 10 x worse than that, and this was in 90s cayman islands when water was perfect and corals were perfectly awesome. I literally saw GHA abutting corals (something has to feed a million tang fish) and I saw patches of cyano, and valonia algae the size of ping pong balls. your tank looks cleaned than that, and we dont even have matched grazers here, so this reef looks outstanding to me considering its age.

well done.

one of these days you'll look back and this will be beaten. that may be page 110 but it w arrive one day
My biggest concern is I don’t want to bring it into another tank if I use my rock, as I’m planning an upgrade within the next year to a 5ft lagoon, and possibly in the near future a nano for my one clown who just won’t grow and gets some abuse.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also thanks for the kind words! I wish it would grow out already lol

I went snorkeling in Aruba 2 years ago and it was amazing. I’m pretty sure I saw a diamond goby the size of a cucumber!

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. So it’s summer, and getting hot so over the past few days the tank has been up to 82-83 degrees. Currently letting it ride to test another theory about Dinos with heating the water up to 82-83 and they disappear. I’m on day 2, no real difference yet. Going to let it ride for the week.

Next, UV doesn’t seem to be affecting my sand. Did some tests P04 is at .59 and Nitrates are at 2 or less. My current plan test is to keep the UV going and continuing to stir sand, also I’m thinking my nitrates at at 0 because the test goes no less than 2 ppm so I got some NeoNitro to raise them to 5-10. Also ordered pods and phytoplankton from algae barn to help bio diversity.

Corals are about the same. Happy day hammers, Zoas are splitting. Xenia is starting to really split and the sps is being SPS....slow. GSP ehh bits and pieces left now.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread. Good job on the cleaning, and posting!! I'm just wondering how your tank is doing now?

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread. Good job on the cleaning, and posting!! I'm just wondering how your tank is doing now?
Fish and corals seem to be doing well. I’m currently battling large cell dinos so my sand is an ugly brown. I’m dosing silicate to create diatoms and out compete them. Also dosing nitrate as I believe it was the cause of the Dino’s.

If I did this without having Dino’s already I believe it woulda stayed crystal clean looking.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that your fish and corals are doing good! I'm thinking of doing the same for my tank. It is 7 years old, and the sand bed is very cloudy when disturbed. We are going to be putting in new flooring this summer, so will have to move the tank anyway. I'm surely dreading it! But look forward to the new floor, and newly cleaned tank!

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that your fish and corals are doing good! I'm thinking of doing the same for my tank. It is 7 years old, and the sand bed is very cloudy when disturbed. We are going to be putting in new flooring this summer, so will have to move the tank anyway. I'm surely dreading it! But look forward to the new floor, and newly cleaned tank!
Ya this basically is a cleaning of the litter box, you’ll hate while doing it but as long as there’s no underlying issues with algae and keep your nutrients up you won’t have dinos lol

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping the diatoms start taking over. The large cell dinos and making me sad.

B1DF896A-2394-4D4D-A251-3D6B4BD11D4E.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still looks great. its hard to get perfect balances when we arent employing the ocean's grazers, still a very nice balance there and healthy corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back