0   0   0
coral_crinoid_chimney_787med.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3.5 gal tank 6 marine hermit crabs. Get salt water & sand from where we got the crabs. Every 2 wks my sand turns black. If i don't change w/I 2 days, crabs die & kids cry. I have to redo the whole tank. What's the problem?
Welcome! Are you getting the crabs and sand from the ocean or a local pet store? As others have said, posting a picture of your setup and whatever maintenance/feeding you do would help get this investigation underway!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This:
Welcome to R2R!
Your sand is turning black from the lack of oxygen

In anoxic environments (low O2) the sand will turn black from microbial metabolic activity. They often produce H2S and the sand will smell like rotten eggs. Rinse the sand out until it runs clear before you put the sand in the tank. Increasing water flow in the tank may also help.
GL
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Can you post a photo? It could help. When the weather is nice in NJ I would got to Sandy Hook beach and fillup a few 5 gallon containers of salt water. I'd run it through a filter before using due to the color wasn't clear. Never used the sand.

OP
OP
Brose

Brose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!Like Crabs and SPR1968 said post some pics and some parameters and we will get ya help.
15798199909931386689092.jpg

Welcome to R2R! Sorry to hear about your troubles. We'll definitely try to help. Can you post pictures of the issue? Also is the sand and water wild collected or from a fish store?
Here's a pic, it's been 2 weeks since I changed the sand which involves emptying the tank. I've tried more sand less sand. The water and sand come from the beach where I got the crabs.

OP
OP
Brose

Brose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Are you getting the crabs and sand from the ocean or a local pet store? As others have said, posting a picture of your setup and whatever maintenance/feeding you do would help get this investigation underway!

1579820309634273774321.jpg

OP
OP
Brose

Brose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank. Sand turns black about every 2 weeks. It is sand and water from the beach where we got the crabs. There are 6 crabs left. 3 have died. Maybe they don't turn the sand fast enough, or too many for the tank. I been reading on your site maybe I need snails?

OP
OP
Brose

Brose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and has it been cycled? As above pictures might help as well

And Welcome to R2R!!!
It's 3 months old. When the sand turns black I have to empty the whole tank and put new sand in. If i wait until it's completely black crabs die.

15798214329741816442211.jpg

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank. Sand turns black about every 2 weeks. It is sand and water from the beach where we got the crabs. There are 6 crabs left. 3 have died. Maybe they don't turn the sand fast enough, or too many for the tank. I been reading on your site maybe I need snails?
No, you don't need snails. You need gas exchange. You need flow from an air stone or a filter of some sorts. The black stuff is hydrogen sulfide.

You also need to change the water with new seawater weekly, top off with freshwater to replace water that has evaporated, you should buy a refractometer to check salinity and without algae the crabs will starve to death. So they really need liverock from your local fish store and a light to grow algae. They are also going to need a number of empty shells to move into as they grow.

It sounds like you just grabbed some sand, water and crabs in a bucket from the beach. This ain't going to work long term without setting the system up properly. Do you have a heater?

OP
OP
Brose

Brose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you don't need snails. You need gas exchange. You need flow from an air stone or a filter of some sorts. The black stuff is hydrogen sulfide.

You also need to change the water with new seawater weekly, top off with freshwater to replace water that has evaporated and without algae the crabs will starve to death. They are also going to need a number of empty shells to move into as they grow.

It sounds like you just grabbed some sand water and crabs in a bucket from the beach. This ain't going to work long term. Do you have a heater?

1579821666198142080073.jpg

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15798199909931386689092.jpg

Here's a pic, it's been 2 weeks since I changed the sand which involves emptying the tank. I've tried more sand less sand. The water and sand come from the beach where I got the crabs.
Can we get a better picture of the crabs because I think one of them is a giant marine hermit. Those can get the size of a football but I'm not sure from that picture.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a heater, circulation, or bubbler? May not need a heater if this is a cold water species. Looks like it’s stagnant water that will eventually kill the inhabitants over time.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heater.

I got special water to add as it evaporates but rarely does bc I have to change the whole thing.
Do you have a filter?

Sand from the beach is also going to be loaded with human pollution.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back