Sand you vacuum up - what do you do with it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jkobel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jkobel

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2016
Messages
317
Reaction score
126
Location
Boston, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings reefers!

When you vacuum your sand bed during maintenance, if you're anything like me, you probably end up with a lot of sand in the bucket. (I have a 135 gal DT and do about 25 gallons of water change during maintenance)

What do YOU do with it and why?

Do you-

Toss it?
Rinse and put back?
Replace with new periodically?
Other?

Thanks!
 
If I did not have bags of sand left over from the beginning I would rinse and reuse it. For now it goes in the garden.
 
I use a cordless drill with an inexpensive plastic mixing attachment and mix and rinse repeatedly and let the bucket sit for a couple of days and the repeat until the sulfur smell is gone. Then I just reuse the sand and don't usually replace a huge amount all at once.
 
I always chuck it. I never really put any thought into washing it and reusing it. I just figure, go to my LFS and purchase more.
 
If it's a lot, just stick your hand in the bucket, scoop it out and put it back in the tank.

Small amounts just get flushed down the toilet with the dirty water.
 
Since I vacuumed it due to algae(brown and pink) I treat it first with API AlgeFix, some members said is an algaecide, after that I cleaned, rinse it , treat it with Brightwell MicrōBacter7 and back to where it came from 😝.

If the price is right I get on bag of sand to keep it as a backup in case of emergency 🚨
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new