Sanding down (bench grinder) Dry Rock to make it flat?

D3DPrintedThingz

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2022
Messages
1,705
Reaction score
1,410
Location
Stratosphere
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dry rock at 2.99/lb vs flat dry rock at 6.99/lb. I want long flat pieces of live rock to create my aquascape. Has anyone tried sanding down opposite sides of their dry rock to create a flat stackable surface? I'm talking like bench grinder vs. dry rock. Thank you for the advice.
 
I have done this by simply rubbing it back and fourth on the concrete in the driveway. It works really well on Marco rock and came out nice and flat.
 
Bench grinder would probably be the wrong tool for the job as it will create a bunch of scallops.

It's definitely possible. As to if the juice is worth the squeeze is up to you. Keep in mind Marco rock is not strong. Applying pressure in the wrong spot will likely break the piece you're working on.
 
I bought a diamond blade and put it in my table saw. It works pretty good. Larger pieces have to be rotated but still doable.

blade.jpg
 
So dry rock at 2.99/lb vs flat dry rock at 6.99/lb. I want long flat pieces of live rock to create my aquascape. Has anyone tried sanding down opposite sides of their dry rock to create a flat stackable surface? I'm talking like bench grinder vs. dry rock. Thank you for the advice.
Yea just clean it with a pressure washer if you have one. The pores will get a lot of packed dust if you grind it. Bandsaw would be legit also any wet saw or even a hacksaw will get the job done.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new