Sapper Ski’s 90g corner tank

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0D449DFE-3547-4DE5-B90B-96B4484B519E.jpeg
Just the start. Still need some equipment (protein skimmer next) before adding livestock. Also need to do some rock scaping.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far and welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really happy with my rock selection. My old tank is 100 gallon rectangle I picked up from a tattoo shop for $350. Entire tank was setup and established with the live rock shown in the tank above, guy even let me use his truck and trailer to move it to my house. Although the 90 gallon here is technically a downgrade in size, it’s an upgrade to a drilled tank, was brand new, and picked it up (stand included) for $80. Since I’ve never had a drilled tank...ever... plumbing has been a nightmare for me and it’s technically done well, but is more permanent than I’d like. I also screwed up my DIY sump and am going to take it down tomorrow and rebuild it (hopefully) to make it look a bit more professional and hopefully solve my micro bubble problem I have.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F215A3EE-87A9-4252-AC69-6F16C8FEB64B.jpeg
E6294051-07FA-455B-8C1E-55B1FFBD6BB9.jpeg
5003F67D-10C2-4869-A942-D59C553AB7AE.jpeg
E6924CDC-A137-4B61-AEE2-D3B21A982330.jpeg
36350C1E-9759-49B8-96E0-0C51D7ECC3FD.jpeg
Picked up some mushroom corals over the weekend. 7 total mushrooms on 2 rocks for $30. Placed them at the bottom of my tank after I rearranged some rock. Here’s the pics!

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CB6A44DF-1D99-41AE-BCF2-ED7A0C8E9A6C.jpeg
79C9292C-EB09-482D-A45E-9ED575393130.jpeg

GSP I got for my birthday. I also got a coral beauty angel, but he’s being shy and I haven’t been able to get a good picture. I’ve had this same angel in my old tank before it crashed and he left my corals alone so hopefully this guy will as well.

A743E24C-BDC8-4F8C-9E87-D52EE002D592.jpeg

E2F2B9AF-3AF5-486B-93D1-1AFE7842493A.jpeg

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get a full tank shot in the next couple of days. Rearranged the mushrooms and some of the rock. Still not happy with rock placement, but I don’t think I ever will be so I’m just going to leave it.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I love the corner tanks and bow fronts. I have a couple myself. Looking forward to seeing your tank progress.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I don’t have any coralline algae growth yet, but it takes forever to grow without additives and I don’t have a lot of testing equipment to be comfortable with adding chems. It also doesn’t help that the rock had almost complete die off from moving.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock my mushrooms came on has some red algae on it. It’s not the red slime algae I’ve seen before, this is encrusting the rock. It may be cyano? I’ll try to get a good picture of it tomorrow if I have time.
I’m also starting a DIY protein skimmer. I’m in need of a skimmer anyway, have an extra pump laying around and really just want to test my skills. I have a thread here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-protein-skimmer.542802/

I am also going to be restructuring my sump. 1 because I had no idea what I was doing and built my baffles too high, and 2, it just doesn’t look very professional and it’s eating at me. Again, sump is a DIY project. With the sump I just did it without research and am kicking myself for it. Luckily I don’t have much money in the sump. Tank included is around $35. Just sucks I have to empty it, dry it, then wait for the silicon to dry before reinstalling it.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to update my tank. I modified my sump and waiting for the silicon to cure. I’ll get pictures posted tomorrow if everything works as it should. It still doesn’t look very professional, but at this point I’m just ready to have it back up and running. This did coincide with my weekly water change, so it was just a matter of pulling out a little more water than I normally do.

I picked up some chaeto which I’ve been holding off of because of my messed up sump and some snails. The chaeto has been in quarantine for the past couple days and looks to have a good amphipod population started in it and doesn’t look to have any nasty critters from what I can see.

The snails started in on the diatom bloom that I have in my tank and I have found some purple coralline algae underneath of it that I’m super excited about. I wasn’t sure I would get any coralline algae without seeding it as I cured my rock when I switched tanks during the move and thought that I had killed it all off, but some survived!

I’ll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow if the sump and maybe the coralline if I can get a decent picture.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not had time to get good pictures of the tank yet, but I’ll update where it’s at.

The coral beauty angel fish is doing well. Had some spots of ich maybe? Not really sure, but it cleared up within a week and he’s doing great.

My GSP has a lot of new heads on it and is starting to encrust over the edge of the plug it came on. My mushrooms have gotten a little bigger, but I have a snail that likes to munch on algae growing around them and they haven’t been opening up like they were.

My diatom bloom seems to be receding. The snails are devouring a good majority of it and I’m starting to get some really nice purple coralline coming through. It’s not very dense at the moment, but it is visible.

The sump is still not the way I like it, but with the chaeto I got, it’s just going to have to stay the way it is. I’m also getting a large number of micro bubbles coming up into the display and I may have to add a filter sock to my drain line to cut down on it.

That’s really about the only updates to my tank there are. Again, I’ll try to get some pictures posted here soon.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update! Haven’t done this in awhile, so here we go.

I ended up ordering a protein skimmer. Reef octopus 150. My idea of a diy skimmer got dropped due to some life circumstances and I didn’t have the time I wanted to put into it. So I bought one because I needed one.

Last week I bought some more livestock. 2 clowns and an acan coral. Really happy with both. It was a new store that I hadn’t bought from before and so far I’m really happy with the fish, though the price was anything but a deal I can live with it as long as the livestock is healthy, which it is.

The 2 clowns are by far the most active fish I’ve ever owned besides a wrasse in my old tank that I had to get rid of because he upset my other tank mates. The acan is doing well, but it’s a bit early to tell how quickly it’s going to grow.

The angelfish is becoming more active since I put the clowns in. They leave each other alone, but I see him out more than I have since I got him.

My GSP is doing amazing and so far is my favorite coral in the tank. It’s completely covered the frag it came on and has reached down the side and is almost encrusting in the rock.

My mushrooms, are about the same. I don’t really see anymore growth on them and none of the have split yet. I’ve never had much luck with mushrooms splitting on their own. I’ve always kept them alive (until my tank crashed. Twice.) but I’ve never had any new mushrooms once they make it to my tank.

Here are some pics.

DFCE5F63-40BC-4041-BA17-35F4A74F91F9.jpeg

A23D3F19-8EC7-4C36-B0FF-2F109AAF9861.jpeg

B1619B39-726A-496E-98E6-AFB6AE59DDEF.jpeg

700E2A42-0D94-43E8-8A02-39C1AC480C73.jpeg

4C59689C-972E-4F83-92ED-38A2AD9793C0.jpeg

A2FFF71E-7C48-4F8F-821F-3A7C6F171EC5.jpeg

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
My return pump (less than 6 months old) went out and as a result, I lost my coral beauty angelfish. I also ordered new lighting as none of the corals in my tank are happy with what I currently have. Except my gsp. Which has finally grown off the plug and onto the rock. My 2 clownfish are still happy and healthy and since I got my new return pump has really increased their color. I did notice a couple of starfish that I’m going to monitor in case they become a nuisance. We also had our a/c go out and my water temps skyrocketed to around 80 degrees F. Since we got it fixed I’m at a constant 76-77 now. Hopefully (fingers crossed), with the new lighting and extra expenses out of the way, I can start adding livestock again. Next purchase will be a 6-line wrasse (fireworm population control) since I tend to overfeed my fishes and end up with a nighttime tank full of fireworms.

The protein skimmer is overkill on my tank at the moment. I can’t get a good dry skin and my wet skim is extremely light colored. It’s still pulling crap out of my water, I just don’t think I have enough bioload for as big of a skimmer as I got. That will change though. I’ll post pictures of the new lighting once I get it in and installed.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23C4603F-DD9D-45BB-B1D3-F49D933591EC.jpeg
117B9D20-E43A-46D4-8460-F8FCAEFD33AF.jpeg

New lighting. Upgraded from a single beamswork led to two viparspectra 165w leds. Lights are only at 5% and I haven’t had a chance to hang them yet but overall much better lighting.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. I haven’t really looked at the night life in my tank for a couple months and after getting home from work (midnight), grabbed my flashlight.

So far, what I’ve found are a couple bristle worms (I know they are bristle and not fire worms had both in a previous tank), some brittle sea stars about the size of a bb, and a whole lot of copepods (at least I think they are copepods. Nearly transparent tiny little bugs that move extremely fast and run from my flashlight). I haven’t seen any that are big enough for me to take a picture of with my crappy phone camera, or I’d take a picture.

I’m really happy with my new lighting so far. My GSP’s have really taken off, have 8 new heads pop up in just the past week. My green hairy mushrooms used to look more brown than green and I’m seeing them get color back in them.

My only beef so far are my acans. I haven’t seen any new growth in them. They have (in my opinion) gotten “fuller”, but I was hoping for some better growth out of them in the past 4 months. Hopefully the new lighting will help. I may move them as I have them about halfway up my tank, still on the original plug I got them on. If anyone has suggestions for them, I’d appreciate it.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank mate. Yellow tang.

Update on the tank. I got in a test kit to test calc, alk, and mag. From what I’m seeing, the only thing that isn’t within ideal parameters is alk and it’s just a little high. I tested my tap water (because I got lazy a couple times and just used tap water to top off) and it’s really high in alk so now I know where my high alk is coming from. Going to have to do something different with my rodi so I can have a reserve of water and not spend hours waiting to fill up a 5 gallon bucket to top off my water.

Corals still look good. Still no new growth on my acans, GSP’s are looking good except my original frag piece. It looks like some heads were either eaten or broken off. The new heads on the actual rock look amazing and doesn’t look like anything is bothering them, but I’m keeping a close eye on them. Mushrooms are still getting more color and look good.

9BE732E9-A60D-4C59-BE89-56823E67B4CB.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back