Saturated Limewater Math

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 total water volume system. My alk is steady at 7.2 with dosing 100ml of All for Reef the powdered version. I’d like to increase my dkh to 8.4ish using saturated limewater through my dos. I would like to use limewater because I want the added effect of increasing my ph. Is there a math equation in how I can determine how much saturated limewater I need to dose per 24 hours? To reach and maintain that dkh? Would dosing it Ailey at night be better to stop the ph dip? My ph ranges from a low of 7.8 to a high of 8.1. I’m only at that 8.1 for a very short period of time each day. My house is sealed up and I don’t have a good way of venting the co2. I do have a co2 scrubber on my skimmer which helps, my ph without the scrubber maxes out at 7.92. I have tried the reef calculators but they give me a single dose not something spread out everyday to maintain my desired level. I hope that all makes sense.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator, but bear in mind that the dosing is necessarily very spread out and consumption will continue during the dosing.

Thank you randy. That’s the one I used. It comes up with 1.2 gallons. I imagine that’s a single dose. Obviously too much. I’m looking to get a number to dose over the course of 12 -24 hours 7 days a week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you randy. That’s the one I used. It comes up with 1.2 gallons. I imagine that’s a single dose. Obviously too much. I’m looking to get a number to dose over the course of 12 -24 hours 7 days a week.

I'd try dosing a half gallon spread over the day and see what that gives after 24 h.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using that calculator, I'm coming up with 2.1 gallons of saturated kalkwasser needed to raise dKH from 7.2 to 8.4 in 200 gallons.
I wouldn't dose any more than about a liter at a time. A half gallon or so a day might be a good place to start, assuming you're still going to use the All for Reef.

On maintaining that alk with kalk, you'll have to guess and check a bit. Alk consumption will also go up with increased alk and increased pH from kalk.

Back