Saturday is SUMP DAY

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up since Jan and I am pretty meticulous about keeping up with all aspects of my tank but I must say my sump has been neglected.
I now have so many pineapple sponges in there that everytime I walk by it, they do the Wave, they call me by name and if I'm not careful they squirt water at me.

It's really time to clean the sump out and at the same time I can clean out the UV pump, skimmer and pump and scrape the algae off of the sides.

This aspect of reefing is my least favorite. Saturday is the day. I think I am going to go at it in 6 month intervals going forward

What is your sump cleaning interval or do you just toss some CUC in and chill lol

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll clean the sump bottom out when I clean my skimmer every 6 months or so. Taking that thing out really kicks up detritus and if I don’t suck the detritus out, it goes right into the display.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I clean my skimmer, around every 6 months, I put a pump with a hose attatched to it and put the output into my sock.
By the time im done cleaning the skimmer the sump is clean.
I did the same thing today. I shut the ball valve going to the pump, shut the pump and scraped all the algae and pineapple sponges off the walls and floor, I attached a power head to a hose which I ran to a sock. In 20 minutes the water was clean, midway through had to swap out socks!!!

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I clean my skimmer, around every 6 months, I put a pump with a hose attatched to it and put the output into my sock.
By the time im done cleaning the skimmer the sump is clean.
I did the same thing today. I shut the ball valve going to the pump, shut the pump and scraped all the algae and pineapple sponges off the walls and floor, I attached a power head to a hose which I ran to a sock. In 20 minutes the water was clean, midway through had to swap out socks!!!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of algae do you get down there? Are you running a fuge light? I get some nasty looking algae, looks liked stringy cotton candy but tan colored. No fuge

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of algae do you get down there? Are you running a fuge light? I get some nasty looking algae, looks liked stringy cotton candy but tan colored. No fuge
I run a DIY scrubber and until recently I had chaeto until Vibrant turned it to mush. But it's all GHA, It grows on the glass next to the scrubber screen and underneath it.
The sponges grow mainly opposite the light on any surface lol

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a DIY scrubber and until recently I had chaeto until Vibrant turned it to mush. But it's all GHA, It grows on the glass next to the scrubber screen and underneath it.
The sponges grow mainly opposite the light on any surface lol
Ahh okay yup I bet the pods love the extra algae there. I used to see them on my DIY scrubber screen (offline nowadays) too, never thought they would graze against the current. Pretty cool knowing they can survive in a ats

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back