OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your system was 100% dry and you added no ammonia, no bottle bac, no feed, and you merely put reef water in it, by contact alone that would fully cycle the reef here’s a work thread showing the test

Cycled 100% new dry tank off one connecting pipe in/out to an existing reef, twenty days to a contact-only cycle. No extra feeding added to main, it’s a literal transfer of shedded mass. Bristleworms somehow rode into the new system as well (when benthic organisms establish that is always tied with cycling, they don’t establish in uncycled systems)

This test reinforces the common cycling chart as to what cycles do when non boosted by bottle bac and feed
your tank is getting bacteria from three manmade sources and twelve home contamination sources heh nice combo

if polled before seeing that thread, respondents would say reef water has no bacteria it’s all on surfaces. it’s both.
Wow massive brain explode.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the information bit of aan overload for my small brain to contain but it's great to see someone like yourself help me out during thia exciting process

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow the dosing instructions for how much ammonia to add per gallon.

If you add and test till you can actually see 2 ppm ammonia on the kits, you'll have added way more bacteria than necessary.
I will leave it as is as stated previous posts. Dont want to over does in ammonia.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss in a pinch of flake food or pellet feed broken up a bit that’s the perfect booster. It won’t make a change on test levels but it’s a certain boost for sure

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow the dosing instructions for how much ammonia to add per gallon.

If you add and test till you can actually see 2 ppm ammonia on the kits, you'll have added way more bacteria than necessary.

It's actually way more ammonia than needed. I was falling asleep when I responded to you. ;)

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ho guys so the first 3 days of my cycle appear to be odd to me, im using salifate test kits. See the results below. Today the 25th was a very hot day here in perth and as my cooler didnt decide to turn on the temperature was up almost 2 degrees.

can anyone explain why everything is so low. Is this good? Mu results have been fairly stable and the same each day but today the Nitrites were 0
20201225_190153.jpg
20201225_190210.jpg
20201225_190226.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add in liquid ammonium chloride it will boost all the levels

there has not been a strong loading presented to drive levels up higher. You don’t have to do anything, just wait ten to twelve days in the current condition and you’ll be set.

regarding test kits they’re no where near accurate, see any name brand comparison thread and the readings will be large spread differences

another kit might show high nitrite but it won’t matter in the end

another nitrate kit might show fifty ppm

seneye will certainly not agree thats your ammonia levels, with multi inoculation sources you are at hundredths ppm or thousandths, not .25. After tan conversions ran on this reading your levels of nh3 are in the hundredths anyway, that’s a good zone.

since no two tests agree, shift your focus away from testing and into number of days underwater in the current setup. Add the fish food and in ten to twelve days of waiting add life, you are cycled and can’t fail no matter what the approximations say.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add in liquid ammonium chloride it will boost all the levels

there has not been a strong loading presented to drive levels up higher. You don’t have to do anything, just wait ten to twelve days in the current condition and you’ll be set.

regarding test kits they’re no where near accurate, see any name brand comparison thread and the readings will be large spread differences

another kit might show high nitrite but it won’t matter in the end

another nitrate kit might show fifty ppm

seneye will certainly not agree thats your ammonia levels, with multi inoculation sources you are at hundredths ppm or thousandths, not .25. After tan conversions ran on this reading your levels of nh3 are in the hundredths anyway, that’s a good zone.

since no two tests agree, shift your focus away from testing and into number of days underwater in the current setup. Add the fish food and in ten to twelve days of waiting add life, you are cycled and can’t fail no matter what the approximations say.
Ok great thanks, when you say add liquid ammonium chloride is that something I would need to buy separately? How much would I need and is it necessary to do it in the first place? Guess any fish food pellets? Will also need to get some only have gold fish food for now haha. Would this work? Currently have my skimmer off as its not even in the tank as it only arrived last night.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are veering completely off track from my offers

once the AC is added the residuals created will make a false stuck cycle thread taking weeks and weeks to clear, we r heading off track, nothing was needed here but simple wait time

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no harm at all either way your reef is going to turn out fine. Can’t go wrong, only the permitted start time will vary based on which method of cycling you select. Since these bacteria are so tough, literally any customization you apply will not harm the bacteria, though tests won’t accurately show that fact. U can adjust salinity, ammonia content, days waited, and all the while on day 12 of waiting the surfaces are ready to keep life after a big water change to export the metabolites from heavy AC addition. Nothing will prevent that nice looking setup from carrying as many fish as you like, a nice reef coming up in 2021

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no harm at all either way your reef is going to turn out fine. Can’t go wrong, only the permitted start time will vary based on which method of cycling you select. Since these bacteria are so tough, literally any customization you apply will not harm the bacteria, though tests won’t accurately show that fact. U can adjust salinity, ammonia content, days waited, and all the while on day 12 of waiting the surfaces are ready to keep life after a big water change to export the metabolites from heavy AC addition. Nothing will prevent that nice looking setup from carrying as many fish as you like, a nice reef coming up in 2021
Well thats the plan, even though were just sitting waiting with no lights it's still amazing to see every time I walk into the room.

Have to keep ontop of my parameters as I go, the great thing about this hobby is your never along, help or advice is only a thread away. And your help and guidance is nothing short of been amazing and glad to have you involved into my build. Hope Im able to pass of some of your knowledge to someone after some time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back