SB reefbright led layout

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently 3 mars aqua 165 w box over my 125g and I am looking on getting a better spectrum.

I know SB reefbright offers a retrofit kit for them. However, I am thinking that I may be able to swap out some led to match the SB spectrum instead of buying 3 retrofit kit.

Does anyone know where I can find the layout of their led on their retrofit kit?

Thanks

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go!
sbox-extreme-16-wifi.jpg

You can find all the diodes you need here from this US seller on Ebay.
If I could make a suggestion though, get 670-680nm reds.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is being weird again. The second "clearer" layout is SB's old layout. sorry about that. i uploaded the wrong one first round.

Edit: Nevermind I fixed it.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the layout. That s for a 3 channel with moon light though. Do you have the layout for 2 channel?
The layout works for 2 channel lights as well. Take into consideration that the 420nm diodes are essential for coral growth. It shouldn't be regarded as moonlights only. The layout suits spectrum very well.

OP
OP
Nicolas Sabrun

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thank you.

Thanks for providing the SB layout. However, when I look at mars aqua layout found online, they don't match mine. I ordered them from mars hydro on Amazon. When I look at their listing, the layout is different.

My green are on the same line as my red. I just wondered if there is any other differences. Is there a visual way on the diode what they?? Like for example, how can you tell a 450nm away from a 490nm.

Thanks for the help

GF3GtV1l.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a link to the lights you purchased?

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for providing the SB layout. However, when I look at mars aqua layout found online, they don't match mine. I ordered them from mars hydro on Amazon. When I look at their listing, the layout is different.

My green are on the same line as my red. I just wondered if there is any other differences. Is there a visual way on the diode what they?? Like for example, how can you tell a 450nm away from a 490nm.

Thanks for the help

GF3GtV1l.jpg

My experience with having bought the "same" black boxes at different times is the manufacturer changes layouts often times. You can tell what light is what generally when u know what to look at. 450ish is the standard royal blue that should be the most common blue diode. 480ish is a darker, true blue. The lower the K, the more yellow a white diode it.

OP
OP
Nicolas Sabrun

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with having bought the "same" black boxes at different times is the manufacturer changes layouts often times. You can tell what light is what generally when u know what to look at. 450ish is the standard royal blue that should be the most common blue diode. 480ish is a darker, true blue. The lower the K, the more yellow a white diode it.
I figure that but I was hoping for some type of marking on diode itself. Just hard to tell them apart when they are off.

Imagine if you order do 450nm and 490nm and they arrived all mixed together.

P.S: according to my wife, I am colorblind so it doesn't t help. Lol

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks the same in layout as with the Mars layout that @reeferfoxx posted, except for the green diodes look switched with a couple 3500k diodes.

I did the diode swap on my Mars Aquas to the SB layout over a year ago. The only thing I didn't change/install on my Aquas was the 395 UV'S.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure that but I was hoping for some type of marking on diode itself. Just hard to tell them apart when they are off.

Imagine if you order do 450nm and 490nm and they arrived all mixed together.

P.S: according to my wife, I am colorblind so it doesn't t help. Lol

Yes, when I changed mine I wrote it down in Excel beforehand. Honestly the red, green, white and warm white you can tell looking at the diode closely when they are off. Blues are harder to tell. When I ordered from ebay or from reefbreeders they all came in separate plastic bags that were labeled.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks the same in layout as with the Mars layout that @reeferfoxx posted, except for the green diodes look switched with a couple 3500k diodes.

I did the diode swap on my Mars Aquas to the SB layout over a year ago. The only thing I didn't change/install on my Aquas was the 395 UV'S.
Yes, the 395nm are tricky. I had issues with them browning out. I've since ran some experiments. My findings arent complete yet but I've made some interesting progression in successfully keeping 395nm without issues.

I too used the SB layout but since I like using lenses, I found the disco to be a little more pronounced to my liking. Also I felt it was lacking in a overall wide spectrum. This is my new layout.

bblankledlayoutv2.jpg

At this point, I feel like there is too much white and that may change later on. However, coral growth is exploding and algae growth at a minimum.

OP
OP
Nicolas Sabrun

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I may asked, why you didn't use the 395 uv? Did you change the 460nm to 450nm?

I am thinking about swappingg the 3.5 and 7.5 to 14k and swappingg some of the 12k to 20k. I am not sure if it is worth it to change the 460nm though.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may asked, why you didn't use the 395 uv? Did you change the 460nm to 450nm?

I am thinking about sealing the 3.5 and 7.5 to 14k and sealing some of the 12k to 20k. I am not sure if it is worth it to change the 460nm though.

Changing the 460 to 450 isn't worth it. So no, I didn't.

I did change 7.5 to 14k and 12's to 20k.

OP
OP
Nicolas Sabrun

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the 395nm are tricky. I had issues with them browning out. I've since ran some experiments. My findings arent complete yet but I've made some interesting progression in successfully keeping 395nm without issues.

I too used the SB layout but since I like using lenses, I found the disco to be a little more pronounced to my liking. Also I felt it was lacking in a overall wide spectrum. This is my new layout.

bblankledlayoutv2.jpg

At this point, I feel like there is too much white and that may change later on. However, coral growth is exploding and algae growth at a minimum.
Yes I heard about the 395 burning out quick. Prob less than a year.

Thanks for your layout. I don't have any lenses on mine because of disco effect and the better blending and spread.

I don't see any green on yours. Any resins why or why not?

Did you had to adjust intensity after the swap? I am currently running mine at 35 W and 65 B

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back