SBB-350 Pop up WYSWYG Fathers Day Coral Auctions ! no limit no reserve bids starting at $1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to be fair I did buy it used. Also this probably isn’t great underwater.b

image.jpg
Good to know. My 3155 has been super reliable. I'm preparing for 15-days of my tank being fully automated with no human interaction.... so whenever I read these equipment failure posts I get slightly nervous.

I'm setting up 3x ATO's and i think (big maybe) that just 2 of them would be enough for 14-15 days considering the extra day or so I would get with no topoff before my Return Pump starts blowing bubbles.

I'm setting up:
1x Tunze 3155 in the usual 7-gallon ATO reservoir I always use in my sump
1x Dosing Pump 50ml per minute which I think I'm going to go with 100ml every hour in a 14-gallon bin which I'll probably put 12-gallons in.
1x Tunze 3155 in another 14-gallon bin which I'll put another 12-gallons in.

I setup a camera so I can see all 3 of the ATO reservoirs and if my return pump is working properly. I setup a backup return pump plumbed to a coupler which can be easily swapped out in the extremely rare event of my new Eheim AC pump stopping. I'd have to find a neighbor or family member to swap them out.

I even bought a backup Auto Feeder to keep the PO3/NO3 stable, in the even that an auto feeder dies...oh yeah and feed the fish too. I normally use 1 feeder to feed twice per day. My plan is to use both feeders and have them feed once per day.

I'll leave the AC on in the house and I have 2x fans programmed into the APEX. 2x Heaters too, but probably won't need those.

Can anybody think of anything I'm missing?

Last edited:

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. My 3155 has been super reliable. I'm preparing for 15-days of my tank being fully automated with no human interaction.... so whenever I read these equipment failure posts I get slightly nervous.

I'm setting up 3x ATO's and i think (big maybe) that just 2 of them would be enough for 14-15 days considering the extra day or so I would get with no topoff before my Return Pump starts blowing bubbles.

I'm setting up:
1x Dosing Pump 50ml per minute which I think I'm going to go with 100ml every hour in a 14-gallon bin which I'll probably put 12-gallons in.

I setup a camera so I can see all 3 of the ATO reservoirs and if my return pump is working properly. I setup a backup return pump plumbed to a coupler which can be easily swapped out in the extremely rare event of my new Eheim AC pump stopping. I'd have to find a neighbor or family member to swap them out.

I even bought a backup Auto Feeder to keep the PO3/NO3 stable, in the even that an auto feeder dies...oh yeah and feed the fish too. I normally use 1 feeder to feed twice per day. My plan is to use both feeders and have them feed once per day.

I'll leave the AC on in the house and I have 2x fans programmed into the APEX. 2x Heaters too, but probably won't need those.

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out. If you can see the tank and you can get temp alarms, you should be good. Do some test runs on auto feeders before you leave to make sure you aren’t over feeding.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’ve got it figured out. If you can see the tank and you can get temp alarms, you should be good. Do some test runs on auto feeders before you leave to make sure you aren’t over feeding.
I’ll have everything fully running 1-week beforehand. Most of it already is now.

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably come home to PO4 elevated a bit more than usual because I typically dose MB7 once a week. But it’s ok if PO4 is a little high as long as it’s not crazy.
Buy like you said, I need to make sure the new feeder isn’t dumping too much food out of the opening, that could be bad.

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@CodyBot was talking about this a while back and if I remember correctly he said he found that it was pretty much this. Alk consumption may slow down some at lights out but not to the degree that there would be a benefit from changing the nighttime and daytime dosing.

I think... @billyocean wasn't he discussing it with you?
Man, I'm seeing weird results these days from different systems. Historically though, using a calcium reactor and Trident, I saw the highest alk test of the day (four times a day every six hours starting at midnight) being at noon when the lights turned on. Alk would slowly dip after the lights came on and lights out at 8pm. The lowest test of the day was always midnight, which means that calcification was occurring after the lights were out. Keep in mind, my automatic water change on the main system runs from 10-11:15pm and I use Reef Crystals, which has a very high alk. So, that system gets additional dosing before the midnight test, yet it has historically always been the lowest result.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i get a new order or like now when I switched sources of alk, I test in the morning before work and afternoon when I'm home. The results with equal dosing over that time are higher in the morning and lower in the afternoon/evening. The doser is set on equal doses every 2 hours on 24 hr schedule

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm setting up:

I don't know what the dosers and extra ato is hooked up to but some wifi plugs would be good. Just some way to turn them off if one gets stuck in the on position. Before ypu leave just wipe the optical sensor good and push/pull the float valve up and down several times to make sure it's nice and free...this will also test your off alarm. Do you have a trident or anything to test alk while ypu are gone? Your alk consumption will definately rise if your ph raises due to less c02..

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone! Another wonderful scorching hot day hear in paradise.

Wondering this morning if you folks on the northern tier are having problems from the frequent wild fires in Canada. Are they affecting your PH levels at all?

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Good morning everyone! Another wonderful scorching hot day hear in paradise.

Wondering this morning if you folks on the northern tier are having problems from the frequent wild fires in Canada. Are they affecting your PH levels at all?
Yes. Ever since a little over a week ago i have been struggling to keep PH up. Its also affecting CA intake as well.
I would never go under 8 a couple weeks ago. I almost feel like all my tanks are stalled right now and the only thing i can think of is all the rain and smoke in my area.
1688301418551.png

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Ever since a little over a week ago i have been struggling to keep PH up. Its also affecting CA intake as well.
I would never go under 8 a couple weeks ago. I almost feel like all my tanks are stalled right now and the only thing i can think of is all the rain and smoke in my area.
1688301418551.png
Wow! That would stress me out to no end.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving life right now. Here’s my next little guy to start a growth spirt. It just sat there forever with no growth. It encrusted, but was nothing but a single little stick forever. Now it’s starting to show lots of new little branches coming out. Happy days to watch this.

1688303313308.jpeg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving life right now. Here’s my next little guy to start a growth spirt. It just sat there forever with no growth. It encrusted, but was nothing but a single little stick forever. Now it’s starting to show lots of new little branches coming out. Happy days to watch this.

1688303313308.jpeg
That's awesome! So far it looks like a little SBB guidance is heading things in a great direction.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! So far it looks like a little SBB guidance is heading things in a great direction.
Absolutely! Now I have to start worrying about shadowing. I’ve put these Acro’s in pretty thick. I’m going to have to figure out how to make some adjustments to locations. Hopefully they will all grow evenly and no one will get blocks completely. Maybe it’s time to think about a Frag tank. Been really wanting one so I can have more sticks. Also, starting to ramp up the lights so I can have Acro at lower levels.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the dosers and extra ato is hooked up to but some wifi plugs would be good. Just some way to turn them off if one gets stuck in the on position. Before ypu leave just wipe the optical sensor good and push/pull the float valve up and down several times to make sure it's nice and free...this will also test your off alarm. Do you have a trident or anything to test alk while ypu are gone? Your alk consumption will definately rise if your ph raises due to less c02..
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll do that.
The only ATO I’ll be able to control remotely is the dosing pump. I’m putting my trust in the Tunze 3155. Part of my plan in using 3x “smaller reservoirs” instead of a big one or two with multiple pumps was just incase an ATO got stuck on, that hopefully my sump can handle all the extra water. I didn’t end up getting a Trident, I think part of that decision was from you. I think it was you who mentioned someone remotely increased their alk based off a false reading and did way more harm than good. My alk has been very stable at 8.5. I’m afraid to increase the 2-part without testing. I may bring it up to like 8.8 before I leave and I think I’ll be ok because I don’t have a ton of Coral yet.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else to note as well. You were the first person to mention the possibility of burning due to using Coral RX. I’m thinking that’s ground zero where the problems started. When I got my first Acro’s they were from WWC and came out of their 1500 gallon wall display tank. That’s a completely pristine quarantined tank from the rest of their tanks, so those corals I didn’t dip and they are the ones that took off and grew well from the start. It may be I didn’t fry the rest of them, but all my corals, not just those from SBB have suffered and it’s probably from my dipping technique. Since Shane’s corals are the only ones I have shipped to me, that added stress with the dipping took them down. Cleaning up the water supply seems to have given all the corals the boost they needed to come back.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll do that.
The only ATO I’ll be able to control remotely is the dosing pump. I’m putting my trust in the Tunze 3155. Part of my plan in using 3x “smaller reservoirs” instead of a big one or two with multiple pumps was just incase an ATO got stuck on, that hopefully my sump can handle all the extra water. I didn’t end up getting a Trident, I think part of that decision was from you. I think it was you who mentioned someone remotely increased their alk based off a false reading and did way more harm than good. My alk has been very stable at 8.5. I’m afraid to increase the 2-part without testing. I may bring it up to like 8.8 before I leave and I think I’ll be ok because I don’t have a ton of Coral yet.
Yeah..I'm not in the trident camp. Nothing against it but I trust me more. The wifi plugs are cheap on Amazon and you hook up the extra tunze to it but it should be fine regardless. The alk situation..perhaps raise it to where it would dose about .05ish more dkh a day than what it does now. At .05 in 14 days if there is zero change you would be 9.2 which is not much of an increase. This would at least offset the increase some and not hurt anything if no extra consumption happens. Question is, do you notice a difference when you're not around for a couple days in ph/consumption.

Back