SBB- Spring Fling Blowout

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 9, Members: 0, Guests: 9)

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It feels like cheating. Bam... insta reef
I was thinking that while mounting these "frags" last night. Like, dang, i didnt grow all this, but ima def post pics like i did. :loudly-crying-face:

Shanes bassically dope fiending all of us into small wholesale orders. My freebie was a beautiful tenuis bigger than anything on any major vendors website.

Explain that.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Morning everyone! Got a question. I’m looking at building another high ledge in my tank. I want to build up on the left side of the tank to have more surface area higher in the tank to take out the frag rack and put those 20 frags on a permanent rock structure. Thinking of using CaribSea rock that’s been in WWC’s rock tank so it’s semi cured. The question is, will I still see a mini cycle in the tank doing that with the associated increase in pest algae? The new ledge will be slightly over and to the left of that green encrusting Montipora. PAR there should be about 350-400 which is what the frag rack corals are seeing. It’s directly below the far left Radion XR30.

1716553369954.jpeg
No if the rock has been cured you shouldn't notice any changes really. Provided there's no pests or algae on the new rock.

Putting new dry rock in the tank it would take a few weeks for the surface to stabilize. As long as your not replacing rock there should not be any stability issues. Just time for the new to stabilize with good bacteria and such.

Ado

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that while mounting these "frags" last night. Like, dang, i didnt grow all this, but ima def post pics like i did. :loudly-crying-face:

Shanes bassically dope fiending all of us into small wholesale orders. My freebie was a beautiful tenuis bigger than anything on any major vendors website.

Explain that.

This is how I feel with my local shops. WWC, TSA, LRO etc are just an hour drive but their prices are insane. My new tank is actually 100 percent coral stocked by SBB haha

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Morning everyone! Got a question. I’m looking at building another high ledge in my tank. I want to build up on the left side of the tank to have more surface area higher in the tank to take out the frag rack and put those 20 frags on a permanent rock structure. Thinking of using CaribSea rock that’s been in WWC’s rock tank so it’s semi cured. The question is, will I still see a mini cycle in the tank doing that with the associated increase in pest algae? The new ledge will be slightly over and to the left of that green encrusting Montipora. PAR there should be about 350-400 which is what the frag rack corals are seeing. It’s directly below the far left Radion XR30.

1716553369954.jpeg
You can use "dead" flat rock and wouldn't see a cycle. I've done it like 3 times in the past 8 months or so... add to my aquascape.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Explain that.
I can explain, but something tells me you wouldn't care lol

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Explain that.
SBB is the place to be. Welcome to the addiction. When you're at other sales you often find yourself
GIF_20240524_084436_096.gif

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I feel with my local shops. WWC, TSA, LRO etc are just an hour drive but their prices are insane. My new tank is actually 100 percent coral stocked by SBB haha
100% relatable, for relatively less money you can save a year or more worth of grow out and still have a nicer piece to begin with.

Besides the value, aside from SBB, i feel like i dont even have access to mini/XL colonies unless its a mari from a wholesaler. Its not like those vendors even offer chunks.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1716553369954.jpeg
Ive done it 4-5x in this tank. I did it two days ago to get this tonga branches in.
1000035509.jpg

Typically they get ugly for a week but cleanup crew and tangs keep it in check. I wouldnt worry about ammonia, but they will sponge up po4 depending on how much rock relative to water volume.

I would recommend increased testing of po4 if the system is finicky.

Personally i would use fresh caribsea over semicured from WWC. Both cost and knowing its fresh clean rock is worth it IMO.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive done it 4-5x in this tank. I did it two days ago to get this tonga branches in.
1000035509.jpg

Typically they get ugly for a week but cleanup crew and tangs keep it in check. I wouldnt worry about ammonia, but they will sponge up po4 depending on how much rock relative to water volume.

Personally i would use fresh caribsea over semicured from WWC. Both cost and knowing its fresh clean rock is worth it IMO.

I'd definitely second getting caribsea flats or shelf rock dry. Ensures no pest... but also will allow you to "plan" work on it with out worrying about the time out of water. Also, are you going to drill the rock to act as a frag rack, or are you going to glue the frags to the rock? If you go the epoxy route... I use jb water weld from home depot. It's like $7 and reef safe. Cures super fast is the only con?/ pro. Cures underwater too.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No if the rock has been cured you shouldn't notice any changes really. Provided there's no pests or algae on the new rock.

Putting new dry rock in the tank it would take a few weeks for the surface to stabilize. As long as your not replacing rock there should not be any stability issues. Just time for the new to stabilize with good bacteria and such.

You can use "dead" flat rock and wouldn't see a cycle. I've done it like 3 times in the past 8 months or so... add to my aquascape.

1000035509.jpg

Thanks. Didn’t think I would need to add more bacteria, but wasn’t sure about the algae. WWC has those two giant tanks with just rock in them. I’ve bought it before and it was very clean. Yes, will pay a little more, but you get the 10% kick back on points to buy frags, which helps a little.

Ado

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely second getting caribsea flats or shelf rock dry. Ensures no pest... but also will allow you to "plan" work on it with out worrying about the time out of water. Also, are you going to drill the rock to act as a frag rack, or are you going to glue the frags to the rock? If you go the epoxy route... I use jb water weld from home depot. It's like $7 and reef safe. Cures super fast is the only con?/ pro. Cures underwater too.
Screenshot_20240524_090933_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This stuff? During cleaning yesterday, a portion of my aquascape is not secured well. I was going to epoxy it today with reef putty, but maybe this will work better?

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, also having extra rock, sometimes a piece 1" bigger or with an oblong shape makes all the diff. I started with JB weld but find ocean wonders and some of the other reef type "stick" better or cure faster or both. I also dab super glue on both sides of the epoxy.

Thanks. Didn’t think I would need to add more bacteria, but wasn’t sure about the algae. WWC has those two giant tanks with just rock in them. I’ve bought it before and it was very clean. Yes, will pay a little more, but you get the 10% kick back on points to buy frags, which helps a little.
Makes sense. Should also have less of an impact on po4 in that case, and take coraline quicker helping reduce the brief ugly phase. Shouldnt have any issues bro good luck.
Anybody else planning a unboxing video... they will be due on Monday and next week we will announce the reveal as well and draw the 250 gc
Wife is in final stages with ours. By end of day today. Should be a better testimonial than unboxing vid :)

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second question. This one I’m excited about. Found this little guy in my tank this morning. It’s fairly close to my torches. Am I seeing a baby torch growing here? The two I have close to it are a Nickelodeon and I think a Dr Strange.

1716556344264.jpeg

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, also having extra rock, sometimes a piece 1" bigger or with an oblong shape makes all the diff. I started with JB weld but find ocean wonders and some of the other reef type "stick" better or cure faster or both. I also dab super glue on both sides of the epoxy.

Makes sense. Should also have less of an impact on po4 in that case, and take coraline quicker helping reduce the brief ugly phase. Shouldnt have any issues bro good luck.

Wife is in final stages with ours. By end of day today. Should be a better testimonial than unboxing vid :)
My NO3 runs about 15 and PO4 stay about 0.15-0.18 so shouldn’t have a problem with them. I’ve got some Neonitro and NeoPhos on hand if needed or just feed more Reef Rods.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NO3 runs about 15 and PO4 stay about 0.15-0.18 so shouldn’t have a problem with them. I’ve got some Neonitro and NeoPhos on hand if needed or just feed more Reef Rods.
Yeah just to add, my experience, is the fresh caribsea will sponge it out, and depending on how much, can be a pretty noticeable amount. So just keep an eye on it is all. The good thing is its always been gradual over the course of a few days, so no spike really to worry about if it does drop.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back