Scallop

OceanGirl07

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2017
Messages
21
Reaction score
11
Location
Tampa, Florid
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a scalop a few weeks ago. He's happy and swims around but any other suggestions on what he will eat? I want to makes sure he stays happy and healthy.
IMG_1651.JPG
 
Lots and lots of phytoplankton!! Most generally find a dark spot in the tank and hunker down if they don't feel threatened

Phyto-feast is a good brand of phytoplankton. For feeding, add a squirt of this stuff daily to your tank slightly upstream of the scallop so it can be filtered by him.

These guys don't have too long of life spans (most not surpassing 4 years in the wild) and in the home aquarium, starvation is the leading cause of loss (usually after ~6 months)

Here's my electric! (This was the first day he was in my tank and has since moved spots)
c31d1266d5535c40addcde10cf54020a.jpg
 
If your not feeding frozen to the fish, you might consider it. Marine fusion seems pretty good. Scallops need lots of particulates. SOME Phyto and Zoo plankton doesn't hurt. I blow the "dust" of my rock pretty regularly. I also don't use filter socks much.
Not a critter I'd recommend for folks who like "pristine" water.
 
Lots and lots of phytoplankton!! Most generally find a dark spot in the tank and hunker down if they don't feel threatened

Phyto-feast is a good brand of phytoplankton. For feeding, add a squirt of this stuff daily to your tank slightly upstream of the scallop so it can be filtered by him.

These guys don't have too long of life spans (most not surpassing 4 years in the wild) and in the home aquarium, starvation is the leading cause of loss (usually after ~6 months)

Here's my electric! (This was the first day he was in my tank and has since moved spots)
c31d1266d5535c40addcde10cf54020a.jpg
If your not feeding frozen to the fish, you might consider it. Marine fusion seems pretty good. Scallops need lots of particulates. SOME Phyto and Zoo plankton doesn't hurt. I blow the "dust" of my rock pretty regularly. I also don't use filter socks much.
Not a critter I'd recommend for folks who like "pristine" water.
Thank you for the information
 
We kept one alive for 2 years. It was fed Phyto-Feast and Oyster-Feast daily.

Chad
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new