Scape advise

randriese

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2026
Messages
12
Reaction score
23
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we picked up a few boxes of AF dryrock. Obviously we bought too much (two boxes still closed, two used fully and a few shelves are going to be used as small rubble to fill some gaps and create extra stability.

Hope to hear some advice on our first attempt. Two more weeks until the tank itself gets here so we got time to improve.




Tank will be 60cm high so I made sure that highest point of the scape is 40cm
 
It's a nice structure with a lot of caves and over hangs. I didn't know AF sold rock. I like the view from the back.

🙂
Forgot to add that it will be a peninsula tank, so will be viewable from (almost) all angles :) the blocked side is on the right
 
Will you have corals in there ? How much depth do you have ? If the cardboard is your tanks depth it seems to be pretty close to the Glass, but maybe that is just the perspective.
 
Will you have corals in there ? How much depth do you have ? If the cardboard is your tanks depth it seems to be pretty close to the Glass, but maybe that is just the perspective.
There will be corals indeed. The tank dimensions are 184cm x 65cm x 60cm and the scape dimensions are 150cm x 45cm x 40cm
 
Do you have pictures for inspiration?
I have pics but nothing inspiring. I still have a lot of work to do. I'm going to put a rack 1" off the bottom l so I can grow frags out and get rid of the hanging racks.

PXL_20260926_195818387.MP~2.jpg


PXL_20260927_203445880.MP~2.jpg


PXL_20260927_203533449~2.jpg
 
I was checking your dimensions and it seems like you will have reasonable space between the glass and the scape for scraping the glass and not disrupting the coral growth.

For people who follow and want to know, how many boxes / or pounds of rock were used to make your nice scape?

Time to put it in the bath tub and get it cycled before the tank arrives!

Side To Side Bath GIF
 
I was checking your dimensions and it seems like you will have reasonable space between the glass and the scape for scraping the glass and not disrupting the coral growth.

For people who follow and want to know, how many boxes / or pounds of rock were used to make your nice scape?

Time to put it in the bath tub and get it cycled before the tank arrives!

Side To Side Bath GIF
I used roughly 2.5 boxes, or 100 pounds.
 
There will be corals indeed. The tank dimensions are 184cm x 65cm x 60cm and the scape dimensions are 150cm x 45cm x 40cm
Then it seems like you have some space between glass and the scape. IMO I would have liked more space to the glass than 10cm to still have minimum 5 cm when corals grow, as I struggled with my last smaller tank as soon as they grew. But I ended up with around 12 cm from the front glass and more to the sides for my new tank. I was struggling between nice scape, lot of caves, and distance to the glass for later as well. So tabling SPS will only be placed on the sides now. Depends totally on what you want to have and you find nice. Just my experience.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new