Scarlet cleaner died after molting

clowntank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
This morning I was devastated to find Jacques, my beloved cleaner shrimp dead on the sand. I got him around 2.5 weeks ago, acclimated him very slowly and carefully, and he was doing great, eating well, even cleaning my hands from time to time. Around 4 days ago, I noticed him “dancing” and wasn’t sure what to think of it. The dancing was actually him loosening his shell for molting, which he did the next day. He stayed on the same rock for 2 days after the molt, and I noticed his legs and antennae were still very soft (when he’d use his leg muscles, the legs would curl up), and I thought it was a normal part of the shell hardening process. I really don’t know why he died, my parameters are as follows

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78
Nitrates: 5-10ppm
Phosphates: 0.2ppm

I’d love some insight; I feel absolutely awful that he died. Thank you!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Nothing in your parameters looks off. I know they need iodide or something to molt, but I think a lack of it keeps them from molting. They are super fragile after their molt. Any chance you have another tank mate that might have caused it problems?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
Agree with the idea of iodine, only because I have read that on here but is a swag. IF you are going to get another one I would check that parameter first.
Again, sorry.:(

OP
OP
C

clowntank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in your parameters looks off. I know they need iodide or something to molt, but I think a lack of it keeps them from molting. They are super fragile after their molt. Any chance you have another tank mate that might have caused it problems?
I just have 2 clownfish (juveniles) and snails, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any interaction between them and the shrimp :(

OP
OP
C

clowntank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
Agree with the idea of iodine, only because I have read that on here but is a swag. IF you are going to get another one I would check that parameter first.
Again, sorry.:(
I feel like it’s probably not the iodine, it kind of seemed like an issue reforming the shell, which I thought was with calcium, but my calcium was well within normal range. Super strange

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just have 2 clownfish (juveniles) and snails, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any interaction between them and the shrimp :(
Yes the clowns probably didn’t have anything to do with it, especially if they are small.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back