Scarlet cleaner shrimp lost 5 legs! What can I do?

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on vacation for 3 days got back and he looked sick or something, posted earlier this morning at got some great feedback to try and take care of him not fully knowing what was wrong.
Turns out after molting he’s lost 5 of his back legs..is there anything I can do to help him now? I have moved my circulation pumpes to give him and slow zone and now he’s eating fine and moving around but only for a short time before he just full on collapses from exhaustion sometime on his side..I’m worried he’s in pain. Are there any tips to maybe give him a better chill spot? All I have is a coral box that’s way to small..any help is appreciated!

27036784-00BC-46C7-B61E-018A6F1340F7.jpeg 0E5E6D49-9850-4F97-BEA8-61FAC3F13142.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you mean his walking legs, or his swimmerets? How many walking legs does he have left, and is he moving around okay on them?

There isn't really any way to offer a shrimp pain relief, sadly. A large breeder box could work well to put him in, as he should regrow his lost limbs on his next molt.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pain Tylenol with codeine might help you.
For the shrimp, remove the fishes or crabs or whatever is eating the legs and if it lives it should fully recover in a few molts.

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope he pulls through for you, if he lasts until he molts then he will start growing them back. They will get larger with every molt until they reach full size.
Thank you. I don’t have any fish and he is the biggest thing in there, the only real threat is my emerald crab but he rarely leaves his Kenya tree so Im hoping

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean his walking legs, or his swimmerets? How many walking legs does he have left, and is he moving around okay on them?

There isn't really any way to offer a shrimp pain relief, sadly. A large breeder box could work well to put him in, as he should regrow his lost limbs on his next molt.
He only have 1 walking leg on his right side and none on the other, he seems to be getting around ok he just doesn’t swim higher than about 4inches up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back