Scarlet Legged Hermit Dead?

Melin108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had a 20G tank setup since the beginning of February and I have a Scarlet legged hermit in there (along with 1 blue legged and 2 clownfish). He's been sitting on the top of my rocks for days now and moved as recently as Friday. Today I went to spot feed him, which I do sometimes when he isn't moving around, and he didn't move at all. He's sitting there with his legs out and even when I brush them with a baster he doesn't pull them in anymore. When I take him out to do the smell test that the internet recommended, he doesn't smell like he's dead. I fear he's passed away but didn't want to assume something because I've seen posts that they can sometimes sit for a long period of time.

This scarlet legged hermit has molted in the past as I found the claws and shell on the bottom but that was months ago and even when he went into lazy mode then he would still pull his legs back in if I startled him by accident.

All in all, I think he's probably dead unfortunately, but has anyone seen this response in a scarlet legged that's still alive? I don't see antenna or his yellow eyes anymore either.

Thank you.

IMG_20210628_200036.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'd say it isn't a good thing, when you poke him and he doesnt' even retract, not a good sign.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back