Scheduled Power Outage

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a call from my power company today that there will be a 7 hour scheduled outage for maintenance. I have 6 days to prepare. I called for more info and they said “It could be less than 7 hours, could be more.”

Tank is 75 gallon 20 gallon sump
med-light fish stock
mixed reef, mostly LPS and SPS

I have no battery backup or generator. Its out of the question since im tight on money right now.

The temp is supposed to be high 40’s so it wont be too cold but not really warm either. My biggest fear is temperature and oxygen.

The best thing ive come up with it to wrap the tank in something to keep it from losing temp too much and maybe buying an aerator for fishing bait? Basically an airstone and a small pump. My tank has survived a 4-5 hour outage easily a month or so ago. I dont know if a few extra hours will make a difference.

What do yall think?

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still pretty warm. Maybe a battery powered air thingy from Amazon prime shipping?

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just went through outages here in Texas. Definitely recommend wrapping the tank and using the battery-powered air stone. Or two or three of you have time to prepare. If you have a gas water heater, you’ll have the option of filling milk jugs with hot water and setting that in the tank as a reverse ice cube of sorts. I scooped water out using a pitcher, then poured it back in from a height. This turned over water and provided a small amount of flow over corals to rinse them of any settled detritus.

Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back