School me on my first setup

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the aquarium game for a few years due to moving apartment to apartment while I’ve been in school, but I am finally in a place I will be for a while so I decided to finally set up a tank and want to delve into saltwater.

I am planning on a 25 gallon mr.aqua cube with a 20 gallon sump. Sump will have socks, an SCA-301 skimmer, 125W jager heater, a downstream lighted rock and chaeto fuge with a 6" deep sand bed followed by a bubble trap and finally an eheim 1250 return pump. 5 or so gallons will be partitioned off for use as an ato bringing my working volume to around 40 gallons. I would like to side drill for the drains on the back left side of the tank with a small overflow box attached utilizing a herbie and have the return on the opposing side of the tank. I am planning on all pvc for my piping. In the display tank I will have a livesand bed and about 20-35 lbs of liverock. For lighting I am looking at the ai prime as it seems to be a favorite for smaller tanks and has endless adjustability. For inhabitants I want to keep a fire shrimp or two, a pair of ocellarus clowns, a few smaller snails on clean-up crew and possibly a goby, 6 months to a year down the line I might start delving into smaller hardy corals. Does that seem overstocked for a 25 display with what will be a lot of filtration? The tank is primarily being built around the shrimp so, if anything, changes will be made in their favor.

The only thing I am really stuck on is tank substrate and drain/feed line size. I am thinking two 1” bulkheads in the overflow box would be more than enough, and maybe a 3/4 feed from the pump to the display tank. As for substrate I want to keep sand but I am not sure on type, grain size or depth. I want this tank to be as maintenance free as possible and want to set it all up that way from the beginning if I can. My big issue is water changes, I want to keep them minimal if possible. Any and all advise is appreciated because I want to do it once and do it right without the hassle of buying inferior equipment and changes it a few months down the line.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the substrate grain size the less It will be blown around so try and pick something thats not to fine. I use the Red Sea Live pink (it’s not pink) which has a reasonable size grain but there are others similar of course

Water changes will be the easiest way to keep your nutrients down in a tank that size although I appreciate your not keen, but 10% a week shouldn’t be to bad to do. You could automate it, but then your increasing costs etc.

You might also find this helpful and anything else just ask

And welcome to R2R as well!

OP
OP
N

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the substrate grain size the less It will be blown around so try and pick something thats not to fine. I use the Red Sea Live pink (it’s not pink) which has a reasonable size grain but there are others similar of course

Water changes will be the easiest way to keep your nutrients down in a tank that size although I appreciate your not keen, but 10% a week shouldn’t be to bad to do. You could automate it, but then your increasing costs etc.

You might also find this helpful and anything else just ask

And welcome to R2R as well!

Thanks for the link. That's actually one of the first in depth walkthroughs I read when I decided to start looking into a marine tank and I honestly totally forgot about it, even with it being at the top of the page lol. I did a lot of research about 6-7 months ago and decided to sit on it and see if the amount of work would turn me off of it, here we are half a year later and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger, I think the girlfriend is actually more excited than I am at this point. I know most probably want to rush it, but I am actually very intrigued in watching the initial cycle progress.

It seems I'm finding conflicting information regarding deep vs shallow sandbeds in display tanks. From what I can gather I can get away with a shallow 2" sandbed and I wont have to disturb it at all as long as I have a decent clean up crew on staff to constantly rummage on and in the sand. Is that a decently correct assumption?

I think I'm just about ready to start purchasing equipment, I guess its build thread time.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back