Scionix Digital Refractometer Accuracy

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i have been using this device for a while now recently i am shocked its showing alot of difference in testing. I test my water at lfs they do testing with Milwaukee it shows 1.026 and my device shows 1.023 after multiple calibration.
Any experience guys with this device?
Is this good device or useless.?
Looks very similar to icecap but this have a calibration liquid included which attracted me to buy this.
I also tested my AccuraSea Fluid shows 32 ppt instead of 35 ppt.

20181215_224134.jpeg
20181215_224151.jpeg
s-l300%20(1).jpeg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a knockoff of the one coralvue sells. That one isn't terribly accurate, from what I've seen, either.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys any 1 recommend me very accurate digital refractometer, please. My corals are in very bad shape now. Sadly

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Milwaukee units seem to be pretty accurate. Even a standard non digital one is likely way more accurate than the pen. Any reason not to go “old school”?

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Milwaukee units seem to be pretty accurate. Even a standard non digital one is likely way more accurate than the pen. Any reason not to go “old school”?
I am wearing a spectacles with cylindrical number on my spects which makes a very difficult for me to test with refractometer.
Basically it gives me lot of headaches

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wearing a spectacles with cylindrical number on my spects which makes a very difficult for me to test with refractometer.
Basically it gives me lot of headaches
Gotcha. Take a look at the milwaukee meters. They're quite accurate from what I've heard. Even a swing arm hydrometer will get you pretty close.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Take a look at the milwaukee meters. They're quite accurate from what I've heard. Even a swing arm hydrometer will get you pretty close.
which is the most accurate non digital refractometer ? any specific brand please. My corals are dying i think. All parameters are ok mg salinity is wrong how bad is that. M so upset. We spend so much money and devices we get is not accurate.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be hard for your parameters to be right when you salinity is wrong. Are you near a store that can do a water test for you?

A swing arm hydrometer, when used properly, is accurate enough for our needs.

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be hard for your parameters to be right when you salinity is wrong. Are you near a store that can do a water test for you?

A swing arm hydrometer, when used properly, is accurate enough for our needs.
i did test all parameters in LFS, recently my salinity was 1.026 3 days ago so i considered my refractometer to b 3 points errors. All parameters looks fine.
But my Duncans are not opening for past 2 days and turning white some zoas are melting

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd look to something other than salinity as the issue then. How old is the tank, how long have you had these corals, what lights are you using?

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 3 years old. Corals are pretty old to some 3 months old. I honestly think its my salinity.
As my LSF tested with Milwaukee in front of me shows 1.026 SG and i test with my Scionix digital shows 1.023 SG. That is the reason i feel its the salinity. I am using AI prime HD led.
My recent tank video

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.023 versus 1.026 is pretty small. That's not enough to kill corals.

Can you post all of your parameters?

OP
OP
Hamza Hamid

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.023 versus 1.026 is pretty small. That's not enough to kill corals.

Can you post all of your parameters?
Actually u were right. I was focusing so much on salinity as all my parameters were good but issue was with my high intensity led. I have recently replaced the led from Kessil A160we to AI prime HD kept intensity on 75% many corals turned white and died and my frogspawn is completely white now. Now I've reduced the intensity to 40% and hope for the best now.
Kessil A160WE was working excellent with no even single issue with my tank just for fun I sold the kessil and replaced it with AI prime.

Really very SAD SAD SAD, felt like crying. Really sad chrismas for me this year. Sorry guys.
20181222_203945.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i have been using this device for a while now recently i am shocked its showing alot of difference in testing. I test my water at lfs they do testing with Milwaukee it shows 1.026 and my device shows 1.023 after multiple calibration.
Any experience guys with this device?
Is this good device or useless.?
Looks very similar to icecap but this have a calibration liquid included which attracted me to buy this.
I also tested my AccuraSea Fluid shows 32 ppt instead of 35 ppt.

20181215_224134.jpeg
20181215_224151.jpeg
s-l300%20(1).jpeg

FWIW, I know this is a couple of weeks old, but that standard is probably not optimal (can't be sure but I think it isn't seawater). It is likely 30 ppt sodium chloride. You want to use a seawater standard if you are calibrating in ppt.

Colin E Matthews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have had a "Scionix SSG 1000" digital specific gravity meter for 6 months with a 12 month warranty ,it is only good for the rubbish bin
worked for a couple of weeks and then it was very unreliable , I lost some Corals and invertebrates because of it
showed 1.024 and was actually 1.030
have tried to contact the supplers in all the usual ways but never any respose

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back