Scoly by the slice

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a recent live sale I saw scolymia corals being offered like pizza slices. It was labeled as a rescue. Later in the thread, additional pictures were shown of others prepared the same way. More rescues and all different morphs? Possible, but the way vendors try to increase profits these days, seems like they are moving into new area of the fragging realm. Any one else see this? Hope it’s not a new trend. I like my scoly whole. Just sell the coral the way it is as in nature. If it is indeed a real rescue then kudos for saving the coral. However, I do have my doubts.
Same thing with acans. When they first hit the scene big, there was a vendor at MACNA (or one of the other major shows) that had a tank full of them and a saw. You pointed to which one you liked, he told you how much per head and you told him how many heads you wanted. He then sawed off the heads and threw them in a bag for you.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing with acans. When they first hit the scene big, there was a vendor at MACNA (or one of the other major shows) that had a tank full of them and a saw. You pointed to which one you liked, he told you how much per head and you told him how many heads you wanted. He then sawed off the heads and threw them in a bag for you.
That would be a nice way to do it, like coral butchers lol

OP
OP
HudsonReefer2.0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand the reasonings of the conservation angle and applaud the positive direction this hobby has taken for sustainability. This has proven successful with lords and corals formally called favia to name a few. Frags are made as a polyp. The entire structure not slices of it . With other lps coral types especially those large fleshy single polyps like indo, cynarina, Deshy and scoly this wasn’t practical for the animal and business. Risk of death and long term healing. For science I can see the experiment with sustainability in mind @Opus Ty for article info. Met Scott at a NJrC meeting years back when he contacted me wanting to use my tank pic courtesy Reef Central at his marine biotooe presentation for MACNA Chicago. Sorry for digression. It’s just about being transparent and saying what your doing. Is it a rescue or is it a chance for larger profits. If it’s a research facility I’d say former but since it’s a business I’m going latter. With certain corals ie scoly available through sustainable fishery practices, I’d like to source it as found on the reef. So for now, pls Leave my scoly wholly.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they rescued them from a new employee who was a little overly excited to use the bandsaw... lol. Seriously, they will grow back in time, and if helps aquaculture, I don't see what's wrong with fragging them. They should just admit that they are fragging them, as selling them as rescues doesn't seem right to me. I hope that these were cheaper than the whole scoly. It seems like these past few months have been a huge leap ahead for aquaculturing scolys. Spawning, cutting off the bottom, and now cutting them up like a pizza.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don’t call then rescue if they are not a rescue (not saying they are or are not because I have no idea). Just call them a scoly frag and give it a fancy name.

Otherwise it is like breeders who sell cats and dogs and call it adoption. “I have Bengal kittens for adoption, $1200 each”

It’s fine you breed cats, I bought purebred cats but don’t call it what it isn’t.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don’t call then rescue if they are not a rescue (not saying they are or are not because I have no idea). Just call them a scoly frag and give it a fancy name.

Otherwise it is like breeders who sell cats and dogs and call it adoption. “I have Bengal kittens for adoption, $1200 each”

It’s fine you breed cats, I bought purebred cats but don’t call it what it isn’t.
Lol love that analogy. I also have Bengals. Always though it was hilarious to be charged an "adoption" fee or fill out "adoption" papers

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was definitely surprised by the price. In their defense I didn’t see 4 of the same ones cut into quarters so hopefully it was a rescue. I like my LPS full sized!
Trick Or Treat Halloween GIF by SNICKERS

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So instead of selling a $300 Scoly it can be cut up into 6 pieces and sold for $150 each? That's assuming that original Scoly was let's say $50 wholesale. Easy way to increase profit not so sure about the "rescue" part...

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the price of scolymia is absurd and the import is being more restricted. I can't judge someone for fragging them if they're keeping them alive but I probably wouldn't buy one. Also probably would not refer to them as "rescues"

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the price of scolymia is absurd and the import is being more restricted. I can't judge someone for fragging them if they're keeping them alive but I probably wouldn't buy one. Also probably would not refer to them as "rescues"
I totally agree with that statement. Prices are very high for nice ones, I also know I can keep them alive and growing. I have a few that are 6 years and counting. Hopefully my ‘rescued’ one does well as the others.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen another posted. Seller is stating it is a saved piece from a dying scoly. I have no reason to doubt them.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually under one of the saved scoly descriptions it stated when they have a problem the only way to save them is to cut the good out to give it another chance at life. I believe it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back