Scolymia dying off

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a healthy scolymia for 6 months and over over the past 10 days it has been dying back. It's started to develop dark (dying) tissue around the mouth while the outer tissue remains alive. Today I noticed what seemed like white filaments all over the dying tissue. I thought they could be some type of nematode worm pest but when I would pull them off with tweezers there was no movement from these filaments. I don't know if they are indeed pests or dead tissue. I dipped the scolymia in coral RX just now and more of these filaments became visible. The filaments/worms (if they are) did not fall off the coral during the dip. Ive tried feeding the coral but I haven't observed a feeding response.

Ive been experiencing calcium and alkalinity swings over the last three weeks but have recently dialed them in the last week. Ca is around 440 ppm with All at 164 ppm. Mg is a little high at 1460 ppm.

Around the time of the die back I introduced an acro frag, and a coral banded shrimp, but before doing so, as with all my corals I dip them in coral RX.

Any ideas would be great on diagnosing this issue
IMG_20180316_171309.jpg
IMG_20180316_171259.jpg
IMG_20180316_171251.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a healthy scolymia for 6 months and over over the past 10 days it has been dying back. It's started to develop dark (dying) tissue around the mouth while the outer tissue remains alive. Today I noticed what seemed like white filaments all over the dying tissue. I thought they could be some type of nematode worm pest but when I would pull them off with tweezers there was no movement from these filaments. I don't know if they are indeed pests or dead tissue. I dipped the scolymia in coral RX just now and more of these filaments became visible. The filaments/worms (if they are) did not fall off the coral during the dip. Ive tried feeding the coral but I haven't observed a feeding response.

Ive been experiencing calcium and alkalinity swings over the last three weeks but have recently dialed them in the last week. Ca is around 440 ppm with All at 164 ppm. Mg is a little high at 1460 ppm.

Around the time of the die back I introduced an acro frag, and a coral banded shrimp, but before doing so, as with all my corals I dip them in coral RX.

Any ideas would be great on diagnosing this issue
IMG_20180316_171309.jpg
IMG_20180316_171259.jpg
IMG_20180316_171251.jpg
Do you know what all your exact parameters are? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? any changes in lighting or flow? have you observed your coral banded shrimp hanging around it at all?

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what all your exact parameters are? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? any changes in lighting or flow? have you observed your coral banded shrimp hanging around it at all?
Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate around 3-4 ppm. The shrimp has been picking at it. I have a blenny that has taken up residence nearby the scolymia and my girlfriend said she believed he may be picking at it. That was a couple days ago so I had since moved the coral to another area and it continued to recede

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate around 3-4 ppm. The shrimp has been picking at it. I have a blenny that has taken up residence nearby the scolymia and my girlfriend said she believed he may be picking at it. That was a couple days ago so I had since moved the coral to another area and it continued to recede
Correction: the shrimp hasn't been picking at it.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if theres a scoly expert in the bunch #reefsquad

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen tissue lose from the center portion while still remaining tissue on the outside rim. Typically when one of these guys are in trouble, you get retraction of the tissue inward, exposing the skeleton on the outside rim. I'm puzzled???

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen tissue lose from the center portion while still remaining tissue on the outside rim. Typically when one of these guys are in trouble, you get retraction of the tissue inward, exposing the skeleton on the outside rim. I'm puzzled???
I'm in the same boat, man. I'm completely confused.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am colorblind....so is what I'm seeing as gray, is that skeleton?

If so, I hate to say it, but this doesn't look promising. :(

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other livestock do you have that could possibly eat the center portion?
Livestock include 2 clowns, goby and pistol shrimp, firefish and blenny.

I put a plastic cap over the scolymia with lots of holes in it. If it's being eaten by a tank member that will stop it. If it is a parasite of some sort, at least it'll be narrowed to that. The white filaments are what confuse me the most. I have no way to explain that, which is why I'm leaning to a parasite. However, I can't find anything on nematode worm consuming corals

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am colorblind....so is what I'm seeing as gray, is that skeleton?

If so, I hate to say it, but this doesn't look promising. :(
Not necessarily skeleton. There is tissue but it is deep purple colour. The grey nodules are skeleton

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two scolymia corals and I noticed my purple tank nipping at it, which seemed weird but one started to recede a little and I built a cage out of egg crates to cover them and it seemed to work. Had it covered for about two months and the corals remained healthy and the tang hasn't been nipping at it since I removed the cage.
Looking at your pics, it is possible that something is nipping at it but the tissue recession is weird. Looks infected with something.

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two scolymia corals and I noticed my purple tank nipping at it, which seemed weird but one started to recede a little and I built a cage out of egg crates to cover them and it seemed to work. Had it covered for about two months and the corals remained healthy and the tang hasn't been nipping at it since I removed the cage.
Looking at your pics, it is possible that something is nipping at it but the tissue recession is weird. Looks infected with something.
Ya egg crate seems like the way to go. Thing is my tailspot blenny is tiny and will probably fit through the holes if he is indeed the culprit

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like mesenterial fillaments, like it's digesting itself. It doesn't look good. The chemistry swings didn't help but I hope it turns around for you. I've never seen that before.
So I finally figured it out. I caught the Blenny in the act of eating the scolymia. He's been chomping on the soft bit only around the mouth. So now I'm faced with putting the scolymia in a cage and thinking what to do about a $20 dollar fish messing with a significantly more expensive coral....

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
E

ethierwc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally figured it out. I caught the Blenny in the act of eating the scolymia. He's been chomping on the soft bit only around the mouth. So now I'm faced with putting the scolymia in a cage and thinking what to do about a $20 dollar fish messing with a significantly more expensive coral....

Any thoughts?
The plaintiff and the defendant
1521654650752.jpg
1521654672805.jpg

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what causes them to die from the outter edge in? I'm losing my 2nd one to this. At night it puts out something that look like feeders, but the good won't stick.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back