Scolymia not doing well

scubaReef002

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2020
Messages
50
Reaction score
75
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scolymia tissue is receding and I’m starting to see the skeleton. Been in the tank for a bit over 2 weeks now. Its at ~150 par and in medium flow (in sand bed). I’ve been trying to feed but my cleaner shrimp has made it challenging for the coral to get any food.

First photo is just after being put in tank; second photo is 2 weeks later. Tank is 3 years old and I’ve always struggled to get any reading of Nitrate/Phosphate. Water has been stable at:

SG: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 8.7
Calcium: 470
Magnesium: 1360
Phosphate: 0

Any suggestions to help this coral get back to good health would be much appreciated! Thanks!

1 - first added to tank.jpg 2 - 2 weeks later.jpg
 
Scolymia tissue is receding and I’m starting to see the skeleton. Been in the tank for a bit over 2 weeks now. Its at ~150 par and in medium flow (in sand bed). I’ve been trying to feed but my cleaner shrimp has made it challenging for the coral to get any food.

First photo is just after being put in tank; second photo is 2 weeks later. Tank is 3 years old and I’ve always struggled to get any reading of Nitrate/Phosphate. Water has been stable at:

SG: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 8.7
Calcium: 470
Magnesium: 1360
Phosphate: 0

Any suggestions to help this coral get back to good health would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Should also add that all other LPS in the tank is happy and growing.
 
Make a feeding cage by drilling many small holes in a piece of Tupperware you don't need. Place over the scoly when feeding. This will allow it to digest in peace.
Good idea! I'll try this
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new