OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 17th of April, I received my first shipment of corals from a fellow hobbiest. After the headache with the previous company, wasn't ever going to order online again, but after seeing this flricoridia's stock I just couldn't resist; Way nice, I'd order from him again in a heartbeat (in fact I have several times)!

Here is what they looked like upon arrival (made the mistake of shipping 2-day express USPS; of course it took 3 days to get them; then they got misplaced when they arrived, so I didn't find them to 6:30pm that night ~ water smelled bad, so dumped and transfered instantly to tank water. Found out later this is "proper" form of acclimation for these ~ thank goodness!);
SoftiesFirstShipmentofRicordia17Apr.jpg

Here they are four hours later (Only lost one);
SoftiesFloridaRicordia4HoursLater17.jpg

On the 22nd of April, I placed and glued several of the new ricordias onto my rock (after seeing high end ricordia and zoas, I'd already decided this was going to be a ricordia and zoa dominated tank);
SoftiesRicordiaPlacements22April08.jpg

And a close up of one;
SoftiesPurple-BlueRicordia23April08.jpg

I also placed several other corals:
Green Mushroom Leather;
SoftiesGreenMushroomLeatherplaced22.jpg

A Purple bullseye mushroom I aquired from the LFS (wasn't any bigger than a pencil eraser, but boy was it expensive!);
SoftiesPurpleBullseyeMushroom23Apri.jpg

While I was cleaning the tank to get some pictures, I bumped the orange carnation coral and knocked off one of the polyps ~ decided to glue it to LR also (can you tell my original Orange-blue ricordia is splitting?);
LPSGluedOrangeCarnationCoral22April.jpg

The next day I took some more detailed shots of the tank.
Right side Detail;
FTSRightSidePlacements22April08.jpg

And a little Closer;
FTSRightSideClose-up22April08.jpg

Left side Detail (you can see the purple plating monti cap in this shot);
FTSLeftSidePlacements22April08.jpg

And Top Center (AoG, Incredible Hulks, and Red Gonipora);
PalyArmorofGodandIncredibleHulkZoas.jpg

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spanko, a hobbiest from another board, had requested a shot of the halimeda, so on the 23rd I attempted some full tank shots again. Didn't turn out too bad.
Here is the left side;
FTSLeftSide23April08.jpg

The center;
FTSCenter23April08.jpg

The right side;
FTSRightSide23April08.jpg

And the full tank shot;
FTSFullTankShot23April08.jpg

Over the course of the next few days, I took a number of better pictures. The tank is growing, and finally starting to look pretty good.
FTSCenteredonPurpleFeatherDuster22A.jpg

LPSOrangeCarnationCoral26April08.jpg

LPSActinicTrumpetCoral29April08-1.jpg

SoftiesGreenStarPolyp22April08.jpg

SoftiesActinicGSP29April08.jpg

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While taking pictures, I noticed that I was finally starting to see some additional life on my LR (5 months) ~ snapped a couple pictures of small feather dusters on the underside of the LR;
InvertesSmallFeatherDuster22April08.jpg

InvertesSmallFeatherDusters22April0.jpg

And another shot of the large one of course;
InvertesPurpleFeatherDuster29April0.jpg

And I'd also added a new pink one (I actually added two, but one immediately fell prey to nassarius and hermits ~ must have had some issues);
InvertesPinkFeatherDuster29April08.jpg

I also added a green open brain which was seriously receeding (figured I would try to save it ~ LFS owner said if it died, he would replace it ~ kept getting buried in sand cause a powerhead kept falling);
LPSGreenOpenBrain29April08-1.jpg

Looked pretty awesome under Actinic Lighting;

LPSGreenOpenBrain29April08.jpg

And some pink/purple palys (haven't opened up yet);
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/rowlandr/Reef%20Diary/Corals/April%202008/Palys%20and%
20Zoanthids/PalyPinkPaly29April08.jpg

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had become obvious by the end of April, that I'd made another bad fish choice; The watchmen was doing a great job of turning the sandbed and keeping it clean; but I was seeing no isopods in the tank and based on his emaciated appearance, I knew that despite feedings, he wasn't getting enough food;
FishDiamondWatchmanGobystarving5Apr.jpg

Time to go; based on threads I'd seen on another site, I built a DIY fishtrap out of a empty water bottle, baited it with some LS from another tank, and within an hour, had myself a fish;
MiscDiamondWatchmanGobyinFishTrap29.jpg

MiscDiamondWatchmaninFishTrap29Apri.jpg

He's now fat and happy living in Dennis' 210gal aquarium.
And that brings me to the end of April '08 ~ on to May!

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice write up. tank is looking good. I can see someone has been to Garfs website. lol how are there corals I have never ordered from them. why did they only sen 2 varieties? I am concerned about the hose clamp In your fuge though. Even if it is staneless.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice write up. tank is looking good. I can see someone has been to Garfs website. lol how are there corals I have never ordered from them. why did they only sen 2 varieties? I am concerned about the hose clamp In your fuge though. Even if it is staneless.

Thanks Spike. Yea, GARF used to be one of my favorite places, but they didn't do what they said (everyone was supposed to be a different type of zoa and they shorted us on our invert order as well), nor did they make it right, so I haven't ordered from them since.

What are other people using for a clamp on the return line? Everyone I know is using the hose clamp ~ not real happy with it, and it is rusting, but I don't trust the return without something to keep it on. Open to suggestions.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
I'm using black zip ties for my sump returns and skimmer lines, they also make plastic hose clamps and I believe ACE carries them. I have always meant to pick some up but never remember when I am running around town.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
I'm using black zip ties for my sump returns and skimmer lines, they also make plastic hose clamps and I believe ACE carries them. I have always meant to pick some up but never remember when I am running around town.

Thanks John I'll have to check into that. I would prefer the plastic hose clamps, because I take my pumps out and run them through vinegar regularly, and cutting and replacing zip ties all the time is a pain.

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks John I'll have to check into that. I would prefer the plastic hose clamps, because I take my pumps out and run them through vinegar regularly, and cutting and replacing zip ties all the time is a pain.

I'll try and check out ACE today, I need to get some PVC for my skimmer return and I'm working in the shop today so I should be able to make it over there sometime today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back