scraping coralline...

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I can easily control the coralline algae on my front and side panels with the magnetic scraper I have, however the back wall is a different story.

My back wall and overflows are all black and I love it when it is a clean, black background. I think it makes the tank pop and gives the corals a better dimension.

Now the problem (good problem) is that the coralline is growing like crazy all over my back wall.

I have been using a kent pro scraper but it really is not that good and takes a lot of work to get the coralline off. I was wondering if yall have any better alternatives or if there is someway to sharpen the kent pro scraper metal part so it makes slight work of the coralline on the back wall. Also this is a 180g tank so I need something thats a little long or that I could make longer

Look forward to the suggestions and what yall are using :)

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I can easily control the coralline algae on my front and side panels with the magnetic scraper I have, however the back wall is a different story.

My back wall and overflows are all black and I love it when it is a clean, black background. I think it makes the tank pop and gives the corals a better dimension.

Now the problem (good problem) is that the coralline is growing like crazy all over my back wall.

I have been using a kent pro scraper but it really is not that good and takes a lot of work to get the coralline off. I was wondering if yall have any better alternatives or if there is someway to sharpen the kent pro scraper metal part so it makes slight work of the coralline on the back wall. Also this is a 180g tank so I need something thats a little long or that I could make longer

Look forward to the suggestions and what yall are using :)

Its mostly the black overflow that is so hard to scrape off. It comes off pretty easy from the glass. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Increasing the lighting to that specific area, Kessil comes to mind for directional lighting increase.
2. Increase manual removal.
3. Try some calcareous macro algae such as Halimeda to out compete.

Your choices are alternating chemistry, not a good idea. Introducing inverts that eat coralline, not all urchins are coralline eaters. I believe Tuxedo are, aka Pin Cushion.

Elbow grease, sorry.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Increasing the lighting to that specific area, Kessil comes to mind for directional lighting increase.
2. Increase manual removal.
3. Try some calcareous macro algae such as Halimeda to out compete.

Your choices are alternating chemistry, not a good idea. Introducing inverts that eat coralline, not all urchins are coralline eaters. I believe Tuxedo are, aka Pin Cushion.

Elbow grease, sorry.

no problem. I think I am just gonna have to start cleaning the overflows a lot more often before it comes big spots that are hard to get off.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back