SCRAPPED AND REBUILT... Not the Average Build Thread…

ReeferinTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we’ve been out of it for a bit, a couple life changes with departed family members and a major remodel had gotten us off track, but I am at it building now finally. Our build COMPLETELY changed from what I originally posted last year.
I wasn’t going to start a build until the floors were replaced so we expected a delay. We ended up repainting the entire house with new floors and quartz countertops throughout and 2 new bathrooms. It’s a good thing I had most of the gear purchased before the remodel. It’s done and we are still married!!

My wife is working on the aquascape now and then all we need is water!!

I custom designed and DIY built a t-slot aluminum enclosed stand. 8020.net, quite a selection. It took me quite a while to design it, but I’m very happy with the way it came out.

We decided not to have a custom tank made and go with a new standard 75 with ¼” thick glass, a TopFin. Turns out they are owned by United Pet Group and still manufacture in the US. I’m sure we’ll be happy with it. I drilled the tank myself for an Eshopps Eclipse M external overflow with 2 two 1” drains. I also drilled two ¾” returns fitted with threaded bulkheads for Loc-Line returns.
- Trigger Systems Crystal 30 Sump with 10-Gal Crystal ATO reservoir.
- AquaMaxX ConeS Q-1 in-sump protein skimmer
- Flow, we are going Mixed Reef, probably softies/leathers, a few anemones, maybe a couple LPS and perhaps 1 or 2 select SPS in the best flow/lit area. We went with two IceCap 2K Gyres.
- Main Return: Reef Octopus VarioS-6.
- Aqua 15W UV Sterilizer on main return line (flow will eventually be set for algae management)
- Aux./Secondary return: Reef Octopus VarioS-4.
- Aqua 15W UV Sterilizer on main return line (flow will eventually be set for disease management)
- BRS Dual Media Reactor (GFO & Carbon - Aux./Secondary Return: Reef Octopus VarioS-4.
Hydros WaveEngine with dual IceCap Battery Backups to control the Gyres and both VarioS pumps.
- Lighting, 2 AI Hydra 32HD with an AI Prime 16HD Fuge for the refugium.
- Dual Finnex HMX 200S Titanium Heaters w/Inkbird ITC-306A WiFi Temperature Controller for redundancy.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

No pics for a few months… sorry

Admittedly we are not going to build for a few months yet; I just figured it would be a great idea to login here drop some notes and see if others would chime in and head off any mistakes I might be making from the start, so just please feel free to drop ANY suggestions.

We are having a custom tank made by, most likely, Glass Cages to fit the opening of an existing pass through from the kitchen dining area to the living room/den. So, here goes:

Display Tank
- Custom 78.9 (call it 80) gal. rimless Peninsula-style with a divider wall overflow on one short end, plumbed with 5 bulk heads( 3 - 1” drains & 2 - 3/4” returns). 3 drains for a Bean Animal. But after reading threads re. the constant headaches some have with them, I am seriously rethinking going with 2 - 1” holes and a Herbie.

- Flow, we are going Mixed Reef, probably softies/leathers, a few anemones, maybe a couple LPS and perhaps 1 or 2 select SPS in the best flow/lit area, so I I’ve worked out a couple options:
- 1. Two RED SEA – REEFWAVE GYRE 25s with 2 smaller Neros or Current USA 1000+ flow heads to eradicate dead spots, this has become the leading solution in my book, or
- 2. Two EcoTech MP10s, again with 2 smaller Neros or Current USA 1000+ flow heads to eradicate dead spots.

- Lighting:
- Two - AI Prime 16 HD, or
- Two or three - 165W Viparspectra LEDs (as I now see, you can easily decimate a budget on lighting, ugh)
- We are in Texas, so as a small caution, I’ll add a GHL Propeller Breeze 3, 3 Fan Black

Sump
- 20 gal. Long DIY with Fiji Cube baffle kit with refugium section & filter socks.
- Red Sea Reefer RSK300 Skimmer
- Vectra S2 DC Return Pump (1400 GPH) - Ecotech
- Dual Finnex HMX 300S Titanium Heaters w/Inkbird ITC-306A WiFi Temperature Controller
- Aux. return loop:
- Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump (568 GPH), Sicce
- 40 Watt IceCap High Output UV Sterilizer
- BRS Dual Media Reactor (planned for GFO & Carbon)
- BioMaxx BioPellet Reactor - Standard, future use
- Hygger 20W 12-18" LED Refugium Light

Last edited:

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the lighting I would get ether a kessil ap9x or radion xr30. As for the flow start with 2 gyre pumps go a little bigger on them and turn down the flow as needed, I wouldnt start small and supplement down the road. For fan cooling I would look into desk fans an diy them instead of spending the money on the over priced computer fans that barely put out any air flow

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with the herbie style drain system. It’s three holes ,one being for the return . You’ll appreciate how quiet you can dial it in !!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with the herbie style drain system. It’s three holes ,one being for the return . You’ll appreciate how quiet you can dial it in !!
^^Bean animal??

Edit: Sorry I read that wrong. OP stated 5 holes 3 overflow and 2 returns.

OP
OP
ReeferinTX

ReeferinTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Bean animal??

Edit: Sorry I read that wrong. OP stated 5 holes 3 overflow and 2 returns.
No worries , I do it all the time especially when I’m tired

I just don’t know which way to go. Bean Animal is “the gold standard” but I hear a lot of folks having a bad time tuning them in. A Herbie sure seems a lot more user friendly.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t know which way to go. Bean Animal is “the gold standard” but I hear a lot of folks having a bad time tuning them in. A Herbie sure seems a lot more user friendly.
I think both are equal when it comes to dialing them in provided you have a quality valve on your main drain. The only plus I see to the bean animal is having a dedicated emergency drain. I have never needed my emergency drains but it does make me feel good that they exist.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Syncra 2.0 may not get you there. With head loss, your flow could be 1/3 of the max.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back