Scrubbing rocks between water changes

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquascape is cemented together so I can't remove it or else I'd scrub rocks in a bucket as others have mentioned.

Tank is a couple of months old. "New" rock not live rock so it's not encrusted with coralline algae yet. I'm battling algae that's eating up all my nutrients...only a couple of fish so I'm feeding very little.

Is there any downside to scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush a couple of times a week to get the algae off. Obviously it's not getting sucked out during a water change at that point and is going to end up in my filter roller...but other than using more filter roller than "usual" is there really any downside to just brushing off the rocks a couple of times a week?

BTW - Larger cleanup crew on order...had to wait till after the holidays as reefcleaners wasn't shipping via USPS.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquascape is cemented together so I can't remove it or else I'd scrub rocks in a bucket as others have mentioned.

Tank is a couple of months old. "New" rock not live rock so it's not encrusted with coralline algae yet. I'm battling algae that's eating up all my nutrients...only a couple of fish so I'm feeding very little.

Is there any downside to scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush a couple of times a week to get the algae off. Obviously it's not getting sucked out during a water change at that point and is going to end up in my filter roller...but other than using more filter roller than "usual" is there really any downside to just brushing off the rocks a couple of times a week?

BTW - Larger cleanup crew on order...had to wait till after the holidays as reefcleaners wasn't shipping via USPS.
you can, IMO its fine not to, it can just be vacuumed up while removing water. Get some cerith snails in that CUC.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use a toothbrush and go ham on it during a water change, whatever coralline or anything that you scrub off will likely release spores and come back stronger

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use a toothbrush and go ham on it during a water change, whatever coralline or anything that you scrub off will likely release spores and come back stronger
Yeah..I'm not worried about the coralline algae. I just figured I could scrub it a couple times during the week between my weekly water change to at least get some of it out of the water.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered package that had:
102 Dwarf Ceriths

28 Nassarius

23 Florida Ceriths

24 Astraea Snails.

25 Assorted Hermits
how many gallons is that tank? thats a lot of CUC lol make sure to have some spare shells. IMO maybe just get scarlets instead of assorted but its fine either way i guess

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing occasionally with a toothbrush, as well as using a turkey baster to blow junk back into the water column works wonders. If you have filter socks, be sure to check them the next morning because it would usually clog mine.

I did that for about 2 months while getting my nitrates and phosphates where I wanted them, and then suddenly all the algae was gone. Now I just turkey baster blast it once in a while before a water change.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing occasionally with a toothbrush, as well as using a turkey baster to blow junk back into the water column works wonders. If you have filter socks, be sure to check them the next morning because it would usually clog mine.

I did that for about 2 months while getting my nitrates and phosphates where I wanted them, and then suddenly all the algae was gone. Now I just turkey baster blast it once in a while before a water change.
Thanks. It's a new tank...only a couple months old...so I expected the algae. I'm using a filter roller...so it's going to go through more than usual...but I think it's a small price to pay to get that crap outta the water.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah..I'm not worried about the coralline algae. I just figured I could scrub it a couple times during the week between my weekly water change to at least get some of it out of the water.
If it’s more stubborn hair algae you could always try some vibrant, I don’t want to point you in the wrong direction, but some people even directly dose small amounts of Hydrogen Peroxide to oxidize the algae right out of the tank. Use extreme caution if you do this though

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s more stubborn hair algae you could always try some vibrant, I don’t want to point you in the wrong direction, but some people even directly dose small amounts of Hydrogen Peroxide to oxidize the algae right out of the tank. Use extreme caution if you do this though
Thanks. I don't really want to start dosing anything. I knew it was going to happen...and frankly it doesn't bother me that much...other than it starting to choke out some GSP I have on a small rock. so I might take that small rock out and dip it in some Hydrogen Peroxide.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don't really want to start dosing anything. I knew it was going to happen...and frankly it doesn't bother me that much...other than it starting to choke out some GSP I have on a small rock. so I might take that small rock out and dip it in some Hydrogen Peroxide.
yes. it doesn’t hurt the corals tissue if used in moderation

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. it doesn’t hurt the corals tissue if used in moderation
I tried it. dipped the rock in a small container about 50/50 tank water to 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Just to be safe the first time. I also made sure a zoa frag was closed up...then dipped it as well for a couple of minutes.

We'll see how they react.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back