SCTLD concerns with live rock

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be combining my 22 and 32 into a 75 gallon shortly and was thinking about adding a couple pounds of liverock from usliverock.com. My friend brought to my attention concerns about SCTLD when using live rock. Is the risk vs reward too great to get a couple pounds of live rock? I really was just thinking about getting it so I can incorporate some of the natural biodiversity but if it's going to nuke my tank before it even begins, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock.
Never know exactly what lives in that.
Maybe nothing, maybe not.
Me, I take no risk whatsoever.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the concerns are legit. SCTLD wiped out my 8 year old high end SPS tank, diagnose confirmed with Aquabiomics testing. I don’t know my source as I acquired tons of corals over the years from many sources, but I’d be super cautious with Florida reef rock…

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the concerns are legit. SCTLD wiped out my 8 year old high end SPS tank, diagnose confirmed with Aquabiomics testing. I don’t know my source as I acquired tons of corals over the years from many sources, but I’d be super cautious with Florida reef rock…
ooof. understood. i will avoid it then and just stick with the dry rock. it's unfortunate but not worth the risk.

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers have used LR from the ocean for decades with no issues. It would be the absolute last of my worries, and the benefits of natural LR heavily outweigh the risks, IME

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree but this was before SCTLD started destroying Florida reefs and making their way into our hobby, with no resolution known yet (antibiotics work, but in no known safe dose yet to kill SCTLD without killing the corals). Until my 8+ year old tank succumbed to SCTLD I would have agreed with you, but no longer!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back