Scuba's Sticks and Nems (hopefully)

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's FINALLY time to start a build thread. I acquired a used ~40 Gallon that included a stand and 24X24 sump for a great price. Shortly after, I found a used SCA 50 and had to have it - I love the looks of a cube. Originally, I intended to run the SCA 50 along with the 24x24 sump and ditch the 40 gallon display, but after A LOT of thought, decided to run both systems plumbed together. Why not right?

I'm still a newbie to the hobby and have a lot to learn. These tanks will be replacing my first SW tank which is an IM 30G Long. I LOVE this tank (might keep it online) but wanted something a little larger with a sump. I've learned SO much with the 30 Gallon over the last year and a half. The 30G hit it's stride exactly after being online for a year. Everything was going GREAT until I made a few changes and started losing all my LPS. I'm still not sure what happened but I believe it was either a rogue emerald crab or salt brand change. Anyhow, as all my LPS died over the course of a few months, my anemones and a single tester Acro were thriving. Hints my decision to have one tank dedicated to sticks and one to nems.

Shortly after acquiring the tanks, my wife and I found out we're having our third child. Accidental Covid baby, oops. We currently have two little girls that are 1 and 3 years old. They are amazing and we are blessed to have such wonderful little girls. Our son (woohoo) will be born late December. With the newest addition to our family, this will be a very slow build thread.

So far I have acquired the tanks, built an aluminum extrusion stand, repainted the 40 gallon stand, redid the overflow on the 40 Gallon, built/added baffles to the sump, plumbed the tanks, and finally filled the tanks with water this evening to test for leaks and dial everything in.

30G.jpg InProcess.jpg WATER.jpg

JReef85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the boy. I have two girls but there is now way we are trying for a third. Tanks are looking good!

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the boy. I have two girls but there is now way we are trying for a third. Tanks are looking good!
Thanks! Two would have been more than enough for us also but we're excited.

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update...Only one leak found during the test. I forgot to cement a 90 degree elbow on the return line to the 50G. Luckily it was an easy fix.

The tanks have been drained, cleaned, refilled with RODI, and salt added. Over the weekend I also moved the rocks over from the Brute I've been cycling for the last few months. I ran out of super glue and epoxy so still have a little more aquascaping to finish up. The finished scape will basically look like the below picture. Any recommendations or comments???? Tank on the left will be SPS and tank on the right will be Nems.

Please forgive the dirty glass and crappy DIY screen. I have 1/8in screen and clips on order. Should be here in the next couple days.

IMG_20200818_122731.jpg

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be going well. Finished the plumbing for the detached refugium - which is a 20G brute. Hoping to upgrade it to acrylic one day but should work fine for the time being.

With two tanks, a remote refugium, and a sump the plumbing is a all over the place. But for my first ever plumbing job I'm happy with it.

A couple pics...

20200913_144208.jpg 20200913_144418.jpg

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the remote refugium online and everything (or at least appears to be) running well, its time to add a little diversity. I placed an order with IPSF - snails, stars, mud, sand Activator and some Macro Algae on the way. I've read nothing but good things about this company and very excited for my order.

All of my OG fish from the 30 Gallon (except my clowns) were moved over a couple weeks ago and are doing well. I also found a few fish at my LFS's that have been on my list for a while.

OG:
Yellow Assessor
Purple Firefish
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Tail Spot Blenny

New Additions:
Copper Stripped Cardinalfish
Chalk Bass
(3) Springer Damsels (these guys are going in the Anemone tank for now and may eventually become Haddoni food but we shall see).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back