Sculpting DIY Rock

smalltownreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, its been a couple of years since I was able to have a reef tank, but I am looking to start. I want to make a DIY bonsai reef aquascape because I don't want to get a second mortgage to buy live rock.
I have most of my plans figured out in terms of the skeleton of the build. I was wondering if anyone knew a water-proof and reef-safe way to long and thin pieces of rock? I was thinking of maybe a PVC support structure coated in plasti-dip spray and then cover with agrocrete. Does anyone know if this is feasible for creating a structure that won't leach into water and won't lose its structural integrity with time?

Last edited:

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy thin pieces but the cheapest is break up cheap dry rock using a hammer and chisel or screwdriver. Crush a few pieces into powder to use as a catalyst and binder for thin CA glue. Super fast and super strong. Get the 16oz thin from BRS. No activator is needed. In fact sometimes you need to step back to let the fumes dissipate and rock cool it works so fast. I think I posted some more info on my build page with tips on various crushed sizes to full gaps.
Just build some long thin shapes then assemble how you want. I didn't do exactly asyou are describing but you can see how easy it is to create shapes.
20230215_182351_IMG_2192.jpg
20230215_182754_IMG_2194.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, its been a couple of years since I was able to have a reef tank, but I am looking to start. I want to make a DIY bonsai reef aquascape because I don't want to get a second mortgage to buy live rock.
I have most of my plans figured out in terms of the skeleton of the build. I was wondering if anyone knew a water-proof and reef-safe way to long and thin pieces of rock? I was thinking of maybe a PVC support structure coated in plasti-dip spray and then cover with agrocrete. Does anyone know if this is feasible for creating a structure that won't leach into water and won't lose its structural integrity with time?
I'm not familiar enough with plasti-dip and agrocrete to know if your suggested method would work, but I know Paul B has a similar method he used:
If you want a different way that can be used for this (though it would likely be more difficult), then this one works too:

OP
OP
S

smalltownreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your advice! I'll put up a build thread soon. (Don't hold your breathe, I am just in the planning stages)

Mfutch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can by dry at 2-3 dollars per lb. Then use glue and a thickener to glue it into the bonsai shapes. I like rock dust and baking soda . The baking soda hardens super glue almost instantly.

40 lbs at less than $2 per pound

Get out a saw, hammer, chisel. Break it up and make shapes like this

What are y’all’s thoughts on making a non traditional structure? I was looking to try to make a castle like structure that fish could swim in.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are y’all’s thoughts on making a non traditional structure? I was looking to try to make a castle like structure that fish could swim in.
Its your tank, i like the idea of places the fish can hide. I just say make sure it doesnt block flow too much

OP
OP
S

smalltownreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go for it and post your build for others to see. I'd be interested to see how it works out!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back