SCWD – Closed Loop – Flow.. ugh..got my head spinning

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input..

I am currently in the process of the setting up my new 180g dual overflows, very exciting! There are also two ¾ bulk heads drilled on one end of the tank.

I’m trying to figure out my flow options while being the most economically. I currently have a Pan-world 200PS (1100GPH @ 0’ head) from an older application. I bought the 200PS b/c I had DT on 1st floor @ and fish room in the basement of my old house.

At my new house; the 180 will be a wall tank and fish room behind it.

I was thinking of just taking the 200PS return and splitting it in-to four returns in the tank. Two returns facing the front, piped from the rear, and two pipped underneath the sand bed facing the rock work. Since I have two ¾” bulk already drilled on the one side – I was thinking of doing a closed loop on a DC Jeabo 4000 pump with a SCWD.

What is the life on these SCWD??

Is splitting the 200PS in to four returns (plus two BRS reactors) too much on the pump?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance ladies and gents.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scwds are tough. They kill your flow, they have 0 controlability, and they do not come apart for cleaning. Your better off plugging the bulk heads and putting in controllable pumps.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a closed loop on my 180 and loved it. at first I had an iwaki on it but then later swapped to a DC6000 and it peformed well. it had a center tank intake and then the returns on either side of the back wall. I loved it.

now, on those pumps, they can be controllable. I currently have mine hooked to my Archon 0-10V port which runs it at 50% for 11 hours and then ramps to 75% for 30 minutes, then back to the 50% until the 11 hours expires again. so In theory, you could have it ramp up and down to create differences in flows within your tnak based off how the currents interact between it and the return pump.

OP
OP
ageno125

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm stilling the liking the closed loop idea. I do think it is best to drill the back of the tank as well, and plug the ones on the side. How big were those lines on the close loop?

OP
OP
ageno125

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a closed loop on my 180 and loved it. at first I had an iwaki on it but then later swapped to a DC6000 and it peformed well. it had a center tank intake and then the returns on either side of the back wall. I loved it.

now, on those pumps, they can be controllable. I currently have mine hooked to my Archon 0-10V port which runs it at 50% for 11 hours and then ramps to 75% for 30 minutes, then back to the 50% until the 11 hours expires again. so In theory, you could have it ramp up and down to create differences in flows within your tnak based off how the currents interact between it and the return pump.
Yeah, I'm stilling the liking the closed loop idea. I do think it is best to drill the back of the tank as well, and plug the ones on the side. How big were those lines on the close loop?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say they were 1" bulkheads on the returns and 1.5" on the intake. it has been a few years. it was a wall side display where the plumbing all ran under the house and out into my garage. I had the closed loop pump under the floor in the crawlspace. now that I think of it though it was a Reeflow Dart that ran that Closed loop. I had a hammerhead as the return pump.

OP
OP
ageno125

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say they were 1" bulkheads on the returns and 1.5" on the intake. it has been a few years. it was a wall side display where the plumbing all ran under the house and out into my garage. I had the closed loop pump under the floor in the crawlspace. now that I think of it though it was a Reeflow Dart that ran that Closed loop. I had a hammerhead as the return pump.
Ok, thanks. Looking at those Ecotech Vectra's. may eliminated the need for a few mp's... It seems anyways.

OP
OP
ageno125

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rely on the sump return pump for your flow. Having a closed loop or mp or jebao or whatever else is a good idea imo
definitely not going to rely solely on the return. seems like keeping the return as a return is the best idea..

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large scwd works great, opens for cleaning. I've had one for several years had to clean it once or twice. I use it on a second return pump for added flow.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back