Sea Grapes growing from Toadstool Leather

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title is mostly self explanatory, I'm doing a bunch of maintenance on one of my tanks to make sure a mystery hitchhiker isn't spreading while I figure out what it is and noticed my recently dramatic shroom had something sharp-ish near his base, positioned on a nubby rockscape. So I bit the bullet and clipped up the rock to remove it and found what appears to be a small batch of sea grapes growing out of the base of its stem.

I am personally not against sea grapes going into one of my tanks, I wouldn't mind keeping them but the question is, how do I go about removing them? Do I just slice off the foot? Just a chunk of where they're growing from or a clean slice through? Do I then remove them cleanly or see if a smaller toadstool frag will grow in better harmony on a plug with its roommate?

shroomy.jpg

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this look like bubble algae... and you should deal with it as soon as practically possible before they spread..

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Title is mostly self explanatory, I'm doing a bunch of maintenance on one of my tanks to make sure a mystery hitchhiker isn't spreading while I figure out what it is and noticed my recently dramatic shroom had something sharp-ish near his base, positioned on a nubby rockscape. So I bit the bullet and clipped up the rock to remove it and found what appears to be a small batch of sea grapes growing out of the base of its stem.

I am personally not against sea grapes going into one of my tanks, I wouldn't mind keeping them but the question is, how do I go about removing them? Do I just slice off the foot? Just a chunk of where they're growing from or a clean slice through? Do I then remove them cleanly or see if a smaller toadstool frag will grow in better harmony on a plug with its roommate?

shroomy.jpg
They grow like vines. You can carefully peel off the caulerpa. Place where you'd like it to grow. Loosely tie to a piece of rubble. It should take root. They can even grow unattached while searching for foundation.

OP
OP
MrBrbsmoke

MrBrbsmoke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow like vines. You can carefully peel off the caulerpa. Place where you'd like it to grow. Loosely tie to a piece of rubble. It should take root. They can even grow unattached while searching for foundation.
Much appreciated, I will give it a go after dinner tonight. My main concern is that they are growing up into the toadstool itself, I tried to peel them gently already. Then again it cant be much worse than people toothpicking frags down if I left a tiny hole in it for a few days. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to cut him down to size a bit as he's getting close to the top of the tank when fully extended lol

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Much appreciated, I will give it a go after dinner tonight. My main concern is that they are growing up into the toadstool itself, I tried to peel them gently already. Then again it cant be much worse than people toothpicking frags down if I left a tiny hole in it for a few days. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to cut him down to size a bit as he's getting close to the top of the tank when fully extended lol
I never found my grape seaweed hurting coral. It just grew around them. Now ferm caulerpa is a different story.

You can also let it grow a bit more before you remove it. Or frag your shroom.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grape caulerpa, completely harmless macroalgae, I have it growing at the base of my Duncan, dosent hurt anything

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back