Sea Hare?

brett042001

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that sea hares can release ink which harms fish! I was thinking about getting one but not if it harms my fish. Doe's anyone know if the ink affects the fish or if they even release ink?
 
They most definitely will release ink. Mine got caught up in my powerhead and when I went to get him out he released a purple ink. Luckily it was when my tank was running fallow. They are neat lil guys but grow large and eat a lot. Make sure to supplement feedings if you don't have quite a bit of algae for him.
 
In a large system the filtration will handle the ink, in a smaller system it may be more problematic.

They only ink when really bothered though. I work with an LFS and have only ever had one ink out of the many that have crossed my path.
 
I've got one just started week 2

I've been monitoring him every day to make sure he ain't dead

Guy who works at my lfs said his died and wiped out some of his coral :/

He didn't notice it was dead until it was pretty much decomposing

Death might result in an ammonia spike but other than that I reckon you should be ok

Floss, socks and skimmer should take most of the ink I reckon

I've heard these sea hare's are great if you have an algae problem
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new