Sea Lettuce and Pax Bellum Reactor.

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some great results I. Growing Chaeto in my Pac Bellum N24 Reactor. But the reactor was sized for another earlier aquarium and not rated for the 570 gallons of total system volume I have now. So I pitched a Pax Bellum C36 Reactor which I plan on use of exclusively for Chaeto for the purpose of nutrient export. But I have this barely used reactor and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to grow Sea Lettuce in? I would love to use this as a good source for the tangs and other herbivorous fish in my system.

IMG_7841.jpeg 70803211644__3FD8CD66-BD44-49EB-A80F-4DC0DA4D327E.jpeg IMG_8017.jpeg

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been growing sea lettuce (Ulva lactuca) in my Pax Bellum n18 for over a year. It grows fairly well. Its more fragmented and dense compared to the nice sheets that grow in a refugium. My nutrients are pretty low so I haven't felt the need to switch back to chaeto and I do like to feed it to the tangs and urchins. I usually take the harvested stuff and put it in a breeder/acclimation box in my frag tank where it becomes more sheet/ribbon like in a few days.

OP
OP
JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been growing sea lettuce (Ulva lactuca) in my Pax Bellum n18 for over a year. It grows fairly well. Its more fragmented and dense compared to the nice sheets that grow in a refugium. My nutrients are pretty low so I haven't felt the need to switch back to chaeto and I do like to feed it to the tangs and urchins. I usually take the harvested stuff and put it in a breeder/acclimation box in my frag tank where it becomes more sheet/ribbon like in a few days.
I'll have to remember that part about keeping some in an acclimation box. I was wondering what to do with mine after catching a few fish.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I grow sea lettuce in my refugium with a kessil H80. I have it glued to rocks so it doesn’t float into the baffles. It grows well and easily. Curious to see your experience growing it with the reactor. Following.

OP
OP
JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow sea lettuce in my refugium with a kessil H80. I have it glued to rocks so it doesn’t float into the baffles. It grows well and easily. Curious to see your experience growing it with the reactor. Following.
I'll share my experience here. I'm in the process of moving my Cheato from an N24 to the C36 this evening and I have a fresh batch of Sea Lettuce from Algae Barn. Curious, how long of a lighting exposure do you give your sea lettuce?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'll share my experience here. I'm in the process of moving my Cheato from an N24 to the C36 this evening and I have a fresh batch of Sea Lettuce from Algae Barn. Curious, how long of a lighting exposure do you give your sea lettuce?
I’ve actually tried multiple lighting periods, all worked fine. I think sea lettuce is extremely easy and resilient. I’m currently running my refugium light on a reverse cycle, on when display light is off, which is 10pm-2pm. I’ve also run my refugium light 24/7 before and lettuce still did fine. I keep my phosphates around 0.03-0.1.

OP
OP
JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually tried multiple lighting periods, all worked fine. I think sea lettuce is extremely easy and resilient. I’m currently running my refugium light on a reverse cycle, on when display light is off, which is 10pm-2pm. I’ve also run my refugium light 24/7 before and lettuce still did fine. I keep my phosphates around 0.03-0.1.
Do you ever use any of the Sea Lettuce to feed to Tangs and other herbivorous fish in your aquarium? I tried feeding them some yesterday and they were curious but preffered the pre-packaged Garlic soaked stuff. Looks like I might have some weening to do.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Do you ever use any of the Sea Lettuce to feed to Tangs and other herbivorous fish in your aquarium? I tried feeding them some yesterday and they were curious but preffered the pre-packaged Garlic soaked stuff. Looks like I might have some weening to do.
My tangs and fox didn’t seem interested, unfortunately. So it’s just used for nutrient consumption rather than for fish consumption. They love the prepackaged nori I put in a clip for them. They’re so spoiled.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back