Sea lettuce working too well

yellow tang lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so a couple weeks ago I added some sea lettuce before I added it I couldn’t keep my nitrates below 30 and phosphate below 1 but the sea lettuce made my nitrates zero and phosphate 0.05 I know phosphate is good but how to I increase my nitrate because I have lps and soft corals and they need like at 2 nitrates I think but they are still doing good I dialed back my Fuge from 12 hours to 4 hours should I do anything else

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could trim the sea lettuce and remove some to lower the nitrate uptake, or add more nutrients by feeding more/heavier

Cre8or30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try trimming as mentioned above, and you can try feeding more, and if that fails , dose nitrate. You can order or pick it up from your hardware store

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with sea lettuce / chaeto mix in my refugiums (i have 2 tanks). I trimmed both but nitrates were still bottoming out so started adding NeoNitro to slowly get back to bewteen 5ppm and 10ppm. According to the bottle you can safely raise nitrates by .5ppm per day. I immediately noticed more color in my sps once i got nitrates back into a detectible range again and maintain by bi-weekly dosing to keep it there.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 5.04.56 PM.png

Back