Sea spiders rant... Could use some help.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks for the vote of confidence twillard, I know you had my back. I was up on the interceptor while it was still popular. I'm not afraid of itit, in fact I'm about a million times more comfortable with a dog dewormer than I am a pesticide that you have to wear gloves and a mask while using.
Not to mention several articles including the initial release says it can be dosed up to 10x regular dosage without any side effects. I'm not a noob, nor am I implying that you are calling me one. I have confidence in my abilities and knowledge to pull through this one now that I know what direction I need to head.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Interceptor twice for Red Bugs, would not hesitate to use it again.

You do see some pod die back because they are Arthropods as well. Water clarity post treatment for a week or more is amazing. Film algae on the glass dies off for a while as well.

There have been reports of a cyano bloom post treatment, this did not happen when I treated.

It's a targeted treatment, I know of no adverse reactions to the biological filter.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking as well. Now I just have to figure out when I'll have time to do this. I was thinking about just keeping my Hawkeye on for more but my instinct keeps telling me to do it. I'll have a fresh 6 pack coming tomorrow, thank God my sis has the hook ups lol.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a bitter sweet update. I've been back and forth all day today decided if I wanted to do this treatment. My beef flavored interceptor will be coming in tomorrow (flavorless is apparently unobtainable currently) and I decided that if I find one more I will do the treatment.
So I sat down with my flashlight and almost immediately I noticed new damage on the tip of the sps I caught the first one off of. Glancing further up the rock to my forest fire digi where I found the third, I saw two legs sticking up the side.
Sure enough it was another blasted spider. I plucked it out of the tank and threw it in the Tupperware.
A buddy of mine wanted to see a picture so as I was zooming in and focusing on one of the original spiders I saw two babies holding on to it.
For those that didn't read the article, the males carry the eggs on a modified leg and it's not clear if they hatch into fully formed spiders or if they have a larval stage. I think I've answered that one for myself.
I was unable to get a clear shot of the one with the babies but here are two I could get into focus for the curious minds.
I am hoping to start my first treatment tomorrow at the recommended 3x dose and will end up doing another dose a couple weeks down the road, tank permitting.
I'll keep this thread up to date, I wish this one Noone but I pray to God that anyone unfortunate as I, who finds themselves plagued with these nasty beasts such as myself finds this thread and can eradicate them the same way I am hoping to do.
20151102_201908.jpg
20151102_201816.jpg

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the cat hair, being a rescue worker for them means there's an abundance of it to go around. The second picture I took shows the one with the babies on the right group of legs

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I crushed up one of the old pills we had. It expired may of last year. I took a very small amount of it and added it to the second Tupperware containing the first two I caught. Instructions say it can take up to seven hours to work and I wake up in 7 hours and 20 minutes for work so I will report back then. Technically I have no idea at what rate I dosed at but I want to make sure that this will kill them, atleast at some dose.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I crushed up one of the old pills we had. It expired may of last year. I took a very small amount of it and added it to the second Tupperware containing the first two I caught. Instructions say it can take up to seven hours to work and I wake up in 7 hours and 20 minutes for work so I will report back then. Technically I have no idea at what rate I dosed at but I want to make sure that this will kill them, atleast at some dose.
Just know that the tupperware sitting there with no heat or circulation could also weaken/kill them so take this test with a grain of salt....also holy crap those things are freaky looking! Best of luck!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep them alive and see if you can get somebody to get a couple good photos.

Here is an iPhone pic I took of one I found on a coral, never dealt with an infestation though.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446524720.565466.jpg

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a little behind but I took a quick look at them and it looks like they earn dead! Remember though that This experiment was just for my sanity I just wanted to make sure that it would kill them!

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone still following, I am an hour and a half into my first dose. I ended up doing a half a pill which is roughly 3x the normal dose as Steve tyree suggested. Nothing looks abnormal except a hermit I forgot about and found sitting on the rocks. Quickly plucked him out and threw him in the QT with the others.

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I just ended my first dose and did my 25% wc and added fresh carbon. Everything looks well, in fact I even saw an isopod that made it through the treatment.
Lights just went off and I've already found 2 dead spiders floating in the water column, one of them appearing to be loaded with eggs.
I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, I can't get a decent focus with my phone and I have no idea where my camera went.
I'll be keeping an eye out for a couple nights and I'll probably do another dose with the fresh interceptor in a couple of weeks, just to play it safe.
Thanks for following and I hope this helps someone one day.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loaded with eggs sounds good.:) The Pest's always breed easy in our aquariums while the things we love are hard to keep. Sort of like life.:)

OP
OP
rajkovich207

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been about 2 weeks in and I wanted to give an update. I check nearly ever night with a flashlight and haven't come across any spiders.
I've lost about 98% of my pods which stinks because I had a ton. I tested my nitrates to see if they had an impact and they were about 30ppm. I did loose a clam but was totally unrelated to the dose so I'm assuming that was the bulk of the excess nitrates.
Other then that all looks well!

Leevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just found out I have sea spiders and was wondering if you can post the correct dosage per gallon, also is it interceptor or interceptor plus?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just found out I have sea spiders and was wondering if you can post the correct dosage per gallon, also is it interceptor or interceptor plus?
Let’s see if some of the #reefsquad knows

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back