Sea Urchin healthy, or not?

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a sea urchin and I've had him for a very very long time and he has grown so much. Well anyways, I was doing some rock rescaping, I only moved two rocks around to create more caves. I had to pick him up and move him out of the way so I didn't hurt him. I know I'm not supposed to really handle them too much and I never do, until when I had to move him. When I went to pick him up the very very hands of his spines were very very fragile and broke off. the whole spines never broke but just the very very tips. Would the be expected maybe because it's new growth, and weak. The rest of his spines seemed okay and strong.

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m willing to bet he’s fine. But some pics would help a lot.
He looks normal and isn't just dropping his spines like the full thing and they look pretty full. I didn't know if it was common or not for the tip to be fragile

Attachments

• 20231221_125130.jpg
    20231221_125130.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 62

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good in the picture but maybe I'm confused as to what exactly happened.

If you have to forcibly move an urchin, a few of the soft tube feet that are latching onto something can break off and I wouldn't worry about that.

*tips of the rigid spines breaking off seems odd to me from just moving it but I'm probably misinterpreting something

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's part of what urchin spines do. They break off easily to continue causing pain.

He looks fine. Though, depending on how long you've had him, he might be getting old. Not sure how long urchins live.

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good in the picture but maybe I'm confused as to what exactly happened.

If you have to forcibly move an urchin, a few of the soft tube feet that are latching onto something can break off and I wouldn't worry about that.

*tips of the rigid spines breaking off seems odd to me from just moving it but I'm probably misinterpreting something
like when I picked him up I could the fill the tips of his spines breaking, but not the whole spine

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gone yea it was bad LOL I got it all gone today, and threw three peppermint shrimp in there just in case
I like to use a syringe and near boiling water. I've done a few of them recently like that and they haven't come back or popped up in another spot. I didn't have luck with peppermints, they always went after my acans when I tried spot feeding them.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like when I picked him up I could the fill the tips of his spines breaking, but not the whole spine
Post #6 makes sense that tips could break as part of normal defense mechanism.

I've personally grabbed and moved my pincushion urchin multiple times even when it was latching onto something with reasonable force and never saw that happen.
*think tank transfer and just have to pry it off the rock or glass now

Not sure what species of urchin you have though which may come into play.

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert but have had two tuxedo urchins for 9 months now and I have read that the important thing is that they keep trying to hold onto things and have some sort of a hat -lol. I have knocked mine off the glass by accident and they seem fine. What kind of urchin is it and how old? I had one previously and he was around almost a year but suddenly died - I am not sure how long they live and how old it was upon purchase at my LFS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back