Peppermint Shrimp vs Rock Flower Anenome

j.wilhelm.jr87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower was attacked numerous times by a peppermint shrimp and has been moving and sucked in for days. I finally caught the shrimp, but am wondering what the signs are of a dying rock flower? Picture is of him currently. His mouth is slightly agape, and he is solidly footing(i cant just pick him off, atleast last time i looked into him, but that was not today)

received_762789579136136.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemone's in general are pretty hardy. with stable water parameters, it should heal itself.

don't move, poke, or feed it. just let it heal on its own.
You mean "Rock Flower Anemones". Anemones in general (especially host anemones in general) are definitely not "pretty hardy".

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower was attacked numerous times by a peppermint shrimp and has been moving and sucked in for days. I finally caught the shrimp, but am wondering what the signs are of a dying rock flower? Picture is of him currently. His mouth is slightly agape, and he is solidly footing(i cant just pick him off, atleast last time i looked into him, but that was not today)

received_762789579136136.jpeg
As long as his foot is attaching he’s got a good shot. Once they start to float around you’ve got a problem. As another person said, best to leave it alone for the time being and letting it heal.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to take good care of it and hope for the best. Bring it out to light, trap it with s few pieces of rock and let it attach and open to the light, or pin it down with a light concave piece of rock.
img_1819-jpeg.3596830

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You mean "Rock Flower Anemones". Anemones in general (especially host anemones in general) are definitely not "pretty hardy".
my experience is only with BTA and RFA. both have withstood a lot of changes and neglect(dare i say…abuse) of getting caught in power heads.

my colorado sunburst BTA lost every single one of its “tentacles” to my nero 3, to which i assumed i would lose it. nope. it grew them all back and now it’s bigger and better than ever. also i had a peppermint shrimp which was going after my RFA’s. had two completely bleach out on me and disappear in my tank(probably hid in shade somewhere), they popped up in two different locations completely healed

personally, the topic of “hardy” is subjective, but i was merely speaking of my experience.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience is only with BTA and RFA. both have withstood a lot of changes and neglect(dare i say…abuse) of getting caught in power heads.

my colorado sunburst BTA lost every single one of its “tentacles” to my nero 3, to which i assumed i would lose it. nope. it grew them all back and now it’s bigger and better than ever. also i had a peppermint shrimp which was going after my RFA’s. had two completely bleach out on me and disappear in my tank(probably hid in shade somewhere), they popped up in two different locations completely healed

personally, the topic of “hardy” is subjective, but i was merely speaking of my experience.
That is why we should not said “anemone in general”. Rather, it should be RFA and possible BTA. We had BTA got shred going down the overflow and pump and ended up with 3 or 5 smaller BTA clones.
There are other very hardy anemones, but most host anemones are not hardy as most people think as hardy.
Everything is hardy if you provide it with what it need. The range of condition an organism tolerates is what make it hardy or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back