Sea urchin with a dark wound like patch.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ssunthar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ssunthar

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2021
Messages
848
Reaction score
602
Location
Singapore
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Expert,

This short torn white sea urchin been with me for almost 2 years... always very active and happy moving around and cleaning the tank. A few days ago i noticed it not moving much and as I inspected it, I noticed a big dark/black wound like patch on it.
20220110_154643.jpg
20220110_154712.jpg


It also look like a burn mark.. what could it be? Anything I can do to help? I can see it getting weaker by the days.

Thanks.
 
It has what looks like bubble algae on it which may have been there a while
 
It has what looks like bubble algae on it which may have been there a while
Thanks. I noticed that too.. but can bubble algae grow on an animal that is still alive?

In that case what should I do to help the sea urchin?
 
Thanks. I noticed that too.. but can bubble algae grow on an animal that is still alive?

In that case what should I do to help the sea urchin?
Yes it can
On the urchin, I would add liquid vibrant at 89% of recommended and reduce white light intensity or number of hours white light is on
 
Yes it can
On the urchin, I would add liquid vibrant at 89% of recommended and reduce white light intensity or number of hours white light is on
Thanks.. will try that.

And today i realized the white patch (which I recalled happened before the 'algae') got bigger over night...

20220111_104826.jpg


Not sure if any other tank mates which are mainly fishes are responsible for this.
 
Thanks.. will try that.

And today i realized the white patch (which I recalled happened before the 'algae') got bigger over night...

20220111_104826.jpg


Not sure if any other tank mates which are mainly fishes are responsible for this.
A quick update... the urchin is no more... by the time I discovered it....all left was only the skeleton.

20220114_095525.jpg

20220114_095754.jpg

³
20220114_095735.jpg


Looked at the dark patch carefully and I realooked at the black/grean patch. I am very sure it was not algae.. it is just the bone structure that looks like bubble algae.

I am still interested to find out what caused the urchin to die... so quickly. Thanks.
 
Thanks.. will try that.

And today i realized the white patch (which I recalled happened before the 'algae') got bigger over night...

20220111_104826.jpg


Not sure if any other tank mates which are mainly fishes are responsible for this.
Spine loss. Bad sign. I've manually removed a patch of bubbles from a cristada torch. It damaged it but it's OK. I've lost an urchin. Dinos. Lost spines then died. Hope he gets better.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new