Seachem Marine Buffer vs Fluval Biological Enhancer

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater. I recently purchased a Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon tank. My LFS sold me Seachem Marine Buffer and Seachem Prime. When I read over the owners manual of my tank they are recommending me dosing the filter in Fluval Biological enhancer after every media change. My question is, is this the same as Marine buffer (aside from brand names) or are they two totally different products and I should purchase the biological enahncer as well?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Enhancer if I read the description right is just beneficial bacteria that 'enhance' your cycle. If your tank is already cycled my opinion is it's worthless. If you haven't started it yet it's likely similiar to any bacteria starter product. It does have a picture of a discuss on the front, but I doubt it's one of those slime coat builders...and if it is it's worthless for marine anyways. Just another product that preys off the paranoia that your biological bacteria are delicate and need 'enhancing' when the truth is if your tank is cycled you can't host more bacteria than you have anyways. It's limited via bioload.

'Buffers' are perhaps the biggest snake oil in the industry. Note how it claims it's 'not bicarbonate' but then lists the stuff it claims it's not in the ingredient list. pH is not something you manage with a plastic bottle of anything and fish don't really care provided you do periodic water changes.

Scoobydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Enhancer if I read the description right is just beneficial bacteria that 'enhance' your cycle. If your tank is already cycled my opinion is it's worthless. If you haven't started it yet it's likely similiar to any bacteria starter product. It does have a picture of a discuss on the front, but I doubt it's one of those slime coat builders...and if it is it's worthless for marine anyways. Just another product that preys off the paranoia that your biological bacteria are delicate and need 'enhancing' when the truth is if your tank is cycled you can't host more bacteria than you have anyways. It's limited via bioload.

'Buffers' are perhaps the biggest snake oil in the industry. Note how it claims it's 'not bicarbonate' but then lists the stuff it claims it's not in the ingredient list. pH is not something you manage with a plastic bottle of anything and fish don't really care provided you do periodic water changes.
Is purple helix coralline and pink fusion coralline alge booster worthless?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back