Seachem Matrix and Phosphates??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mark75
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mark75

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
575
Reaction score
511
Location
Knoxville TN.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling low phosphates and can not figure out why!

Hanna ULR phosphorous checker reads 0 most of the time with an occasional 1 converting that to phosphate is 0.

I have 9 fish in a 50g cube; 4 Azure Damsels/3 Ignitus Anthias/ 1 Clown/ 1 Algae Blenny

I feed PE Mysis/Spirulina Loaded Brine/LRS Reef Frenzy/New Life Spectrum pellets

I have a small skimmer, SCA 301, that I have skimming really light and no macro algae.

My sump has a small section for a refuge, I filled this with 3lbs of seeded Matrix. The Matrix is the only thing I have done different with this tank so I am wondering if it could reduce phosphates?

My SPS are not doing well! They show very little polyp extension and no growth. A frag will make it several months in my tank with no growth and then slowly die, no RTN/STN just die?!?

Any thoughts?? I would rather find where my phosphates are going rather than dose but at this point I am up for anything.:)
 
What's your No3?
With no nutrients you starve your corals slowly, we all know that.
Maybe reduce the matrix.
How much do you feed?
 
Nitrates are 2ppm,...I was dosing stump remover 3 months ago but stopped due to my phosphates bottoming out.

I feed 1/4 cube Mysis and 1/4 cube brine shrimp each day in two doses. I also feed a pinch of pellets once daily. I also feed reef chili twice a week.

My test results are repeatable and I have been using the Hanna meter for a while, I am confident in my test results.
 
I have the same problem with running seachem pond matrix no3 is at 0-2 and po4 0. What solved my problem was oyster feast and an occasional kno3 . I started feeding daily and PE came back + po4 is at .03 now .
 
I have the same problem with running seachem pond matrix no3 is at 0-2 and po4 0. What solved my problem was oyster feast and an occasional kno3 . I started feeding daily and PE came back + po4 is at .03 now .

Did you remove the Matrix?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new