Seachem Matrix Reusable to Display?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a QT setup about a month ago and the matrix has been sitting and drying out. Could I take that matrix and put into my display safely?
Thanks I don't want to buy more rocks lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a QT setup about a month ago and the matrix has been sitting and drying out. Could I take that matrix and put into my display safely?
Thanks I don't want to buy more rocks lol
It likely has absorbed copper and other elements and in essence you would be reintroducing any of those elements to new setup. Not worth it- Start with new

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likely has absorbed copper and other elements and in essence you would be reintroducing any of those elements to new setup. Not worth it- Start with new
Yeahh that what I am worried about. I've heard others have tested the Matrix media and confirmed it does not absorb copper levels. It suppose it probably does even a little bit.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeahh that what I am worried about. I've heard others have tested the Matrix media and confirmed it does not absorb copper levels. It suppose it probably does even a little bit.

As they say, it's complicated. Matrix is supposed to be inert - that means it won't absorb copper. However, copper can also ADSORB onto surfaces, and the more surface area, the more it can do that. Ionic copper is more prone to doing that.

Here is a trick to test for this (and to clean the matrix out better). Put the matrix in a bucket of RO water. Add some white vinegar to drop the pH below 6. Aerate the bucket overnight. The next day, test the pH and the copper. If the pH is still low and no copper is reading on the test, you can rinse off the matrix with RO water and you are good to go. If the pH jumps up or you get a reading on your copper test, rinse the Matrix off and repeat the process.

Jay

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back