seafood mix at Trader Joes for CBB

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share. I've been spending $20 for PE mysis for my copperband and just came across a 1 lb bag at trader joes of scallops, shrimp, and calamari. 4-5 times the quantity for half the price and high protein. My cbb, longnose, clowns, and angels all love it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im buying a similar mix from Aldi (there isn’t Trader Joe’s around where I live) to make my own diy food too. Unfortunately my CBB won’t touch it and still only eats live food.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. what a pain. How long you had it?
Probably around 9 months or so. I feed it white worms that I keep a few cultures of going. It will occasionally take a bite of food that isn’t live worms, but most of the time spits it back out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in a seafood department and have been getting and trying so much stuff for my fish they are spoiled! Like eating in the ocean!:)
So the real question is what has been your/their favorite? I’m still fairly new to making my own diy food.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the real question is what has been your/their favorite? I’m still fairly new to making my own diy food.
So my puffer is one of the pickiest eaters in the world and still only eats live hoping to get him to frozen. My lobster enjoys smelts which is what we know as silversides and clams and so does my starfish. I have considered but I have not blended it up or made my own blend of fish food. If I did depending on the fish. I’d go with shrimp, clams, silversides, and scallops blended for smaller fish with some garlic/fish vitamins. Raw frozen shrimp with the shell-on is great for large carnivores and relatively inexpensive as well. I’d also recommend buying the fish frozen compared to fresh because it’s cheaper and is typical fresher than the fish that’s been sitting on display for a few days. You can see if your store has a raw seafood blend or mix but make sure it’s completely raw not cooked. This is sometimes squid, mussels, shrimp, etc. with no additives.

Last edited:

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share. I've been spending $20 for PE mysis for my copperband and just came across a 1 lb bag at trader joes of scallops, shrimp, and calamari. 4-5 times the quantity for half the price and high protein. My cbb, longnose, clowns, and angels all love it.
What is it called and where do you find it at Trader Joes? Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the frozen section where the seafood is, I use it as back up. I do prefer to buy fresh, freeze myself in small batches.

20230222_143215.jpg

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the frozen section where the seafood is, I use it as back up. I do prefer to buy fresh, freeze myself in small batches.

20230222_143215.jpg
so I just bought some and texted it to my friend who has been reefing for decades. He said to ''boil it in salt water first" he says human food is not good for our fish. Thoughts? How do you use this food anyways? Thanks

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you boil seafood in salt water? Your fish eat it raw in the ocean, not cooked.

That brand has no preservatives. Should be good to go out of the bag. I certainly would not boil/and or cook it.
I kind of thought that too. Maybe he didn't see there are no preservatives. I'll tell him and see what he says.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried masstick with the CBB? Mine hunts around the tank, will take a little mysis, but masstick it will pick at constantly. I have been using EasyReef, which is not the easiest to get in Canada.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just bought some and texted it to my friend who has been reefing for decades. He said to ''boil it in salt water first" he says human food is not good for our fish. Thoughts? How do you use this food anyways? Thanks

Absolutely ridiculous! If you want your fish in optimum health and live a longer life, you feed them human grade seafood. All the food you buy at the lfs except for the brands that use human grade seafood like LRS, first will be treated with ethoxyquin. This is a carcinogenic preservative which is sprayed on all the seafood to be used "not for human consumption". Because it is done before any processing, it is not listed on the ingredients list, but look at the ingredients list. It is also loaded with other chemical preservatives and chemical supplements. This seafood is also who knows how old, so I would say any natural nutrition is long gone. Human grade seafood has a best by date to let you know that is the date where the natural nutrients are still optimum. You do not cook the food in any way, like our ocean pets actually eat cooked food in the wild. Sometimes I just have to say "WOW". I've fed human grade seafood to my fish for as long as I've kept fish, over 30 years, and the species I keep live close to their wild lifespan.

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely ridiculous! If you want your fish in optimum health and live a longer life, you feed them human grade seafood. All the food you buy at the lfs except for the brands that use human grade seafood like LRS, first will be treated with ethoxyquin. This is a carcinogenic preservative which is sprayed on all the seafood to be used "not for human consumption". Because it is done before any processing, it is not listed on the ingredients list, but look at the ingredients list. It is also loaded with other chemical preservatives and chemical supplements. This seafood is also who knows how old, so I would say any natural nutrition is long gone. Human grade seafood has a best by date to let you know that is the date where the natural nutrients are still optimum. You do not cook the food in any way, like our ocean pets actually eat cooked food in the wild. Sometimes I just have to say "WOW". I've fed human grade seafood to my fish for as long as I've kept fish, over 30 years, and the species I keep live close to their wild lifespan.
Makes total sense to me. Ok I'm gonna throw a shrimp in the tank and let them go to town on it lol. Do I defrost it or just throw in frozen or does it even matter? Thank you for the post

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes total sense to me. Ok I'm gonna throw a shrimp in the tank and let them go to town on it lol. Do I defrost it or just throw in frozen or does it even matter? Thank you for the post

Defrost it, I put what I'm going to use in a container of filtered water to quick defrost, you can also use tank water. Depending on the type of fish you are feeding, you can chop it into chunks or mince it and make your own mix. Some people even use those processors to make it like the flatpaks of reef frenzy and such at the lfs for small fish.

btltez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defrost it, I put what I'm going to use in a container of filtered water to quick defrost, you can also use tank water. Depending on the type of fish you are feeding, you can chop it into chunks or mince it and make your own mix. Some people even use those processors to make it like the flatpaks of reef frenzy and such at the lfs for small fish.
Ok will do. Do you have a ''recipe'' for making your own you might share? Thx

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back