Seahorse longevity

Bill E 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping seahorses for years and have lost two relatively young seahorses (maybe 18 months old) in the last month. I keep horses with just a few soft corals plus a mandarin and clown fish. Set up is a 120 g tank, uv sterilizer, sump, filters, decent flow on the low end, etc. I’ve had short term success keeping several at a time…the horses live/eat/mate actively.…but this is a recurring theme. They appear healthy and active and die without a trace of illness at 12-24 months…..I wonder what experience other seahorse keepers have had with seahorses…how long your’s have lived in captivity, bacterial or other kinds of diseases, etc?

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping seahorses for years and have lost two relatively young seahorses (maybe 18 months old) in the last month. I keep horses with just a few soft corals plus a mandarin and clown fish. Set up is a 120 g tank, uv sterilizer, sump, filters, decent flow on the low end, etc. I’ve had short term success keeping several at a time…the horses live/eat/mate actively.…but this is a recurring theme. They appear healthy and active and die without a trace of illness at 12-24 months…..I wonder what experience other seahorse keepers have had with seahorses…how long your’s have lived in captivity, bacterial or other kinds of diseases, etc?
What species of seahorse are you keeping? I've worked a lot with pacific seahorses (Hippocampus ingens) in the public aquarium world. We had a captive breeding program and raised many batches of young seahorses to adulthood successfully. I noticed they were susceptible to vibrio and we also had some issues with unintentional inbreeding. Inbred seahorses always had health issues. We also encountered problems with bubble pouch and tail but as far as bacterial issues vibrio was the big one. Extra not fun because it can pass to humans. Any change in their eating or weight loss prior to passing?

OP
OP
B

Bill E 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of seahorse are you keeping? I've worked a lot with pacific seahorses (Hippocampus ingens) in the public aquarium world. We had a captive breeding program and raised many batches of young seahorses to adulthood successfully. I noticed they were susceptible to vibrio and we also had some issues with unintentional inbreeding. Inbred seahorses always had health issues. We also encountered problems with bubble pouch and tail but as far as bacterial issues vibrio was the big one. Extra not fun because it can pass to humans. Any change in their eating or weight loss prior to passing?
I’m raising erectus horses at home and,yes, eating less was noticeable. I’ve been looking for something to help and been told that Furan 2 may help.Have any recommendations?

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m raising erectus horses at home and,yes, eating less was noticeable. I’ve been looking for something to help and been told that Furan 2 may help.Have any recommendations?
Furan 2 is definitely a good treatment option if the issue is bacterial. The window for seahorse treatment is pretty small so I would recommend taking action sooner rather than later. What temperature is your tank running at? If the tank is on the warm side that can really aggravate any bacterial issue. I would recommend setting up a treatment tank, moving the seahorse or horses in question and adjusting the temp until it is around 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Then possibly treat with Furan 2. Without any visible issues it can be tricky to diagnose properly but with seahorses if you see visible issues you are often too late.

Also you need to make sure they are eating. If that means getting them on their favorite live food for a bit so be it. Getting them back off live food will be a pain but your chances of getting them to eat go way up with live food, live mysis always has worked well for me.

OP
OP
B

Bill E 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 is definitely a good treatment option if the issue is bacterial. The window for seahorse treatment is pretty small so I would recommend taking action sooner rather than later. What temperature is your tank running at? If the tank is on the warm side that can really aggravate any bacterial issue. I would recommend setting up a treatment tank, moving the seahorse or horses in question and adjusting the temp until it is around 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Then possibly treat with Furan 2. Without any visible issues it can be tricky to diagnose properly but with seahorses if you see visible issues you are often too late.

Also you need to make sure they are eating. If that means getting them on their favorite live food for a bit so be it. Getting them back off live food will be a pain but your chances of getting them to eat go way up with live food, live mysis always has worked well for me.

OP
OP
B

Bill E 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for your knowledge and reply! I keep my tank at 72 degrees, try hard to not overfeed, and siphon gravel often as well as change water weekly. Furan2 is tough to find. Have any sources?

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for your knowledge and reply! I keep my tank at 72 degrees, try hard to not overfeed, and siphon gravel often as well as change water weekly. Furan2 is tough to find. Have any sources?
Try looking around online but I hear what you're saying, it is hard to find. You can always try purchasing the active ingredients separately (nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and methylene blue).

Back