Seahorse Only Aquarium

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

So Im already looking ahead to my next aquarium. Im really interested in setting up a seahorse aquarium. Im open to all suggestions, cautions, success and failure stories! Im thinking of a small aquarium, 15-20 gl column set up. What equipment is needed vs. Just suggested? Is there a specific kind you would recommend? Lets talk about water parameters, lighting and filtration needs as well as food and compatability....Im really excited about the potential of this thread and hope to gain a great deal of info from you all!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first check out this article: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/intro-to-keeping-seahorses-by-krista-guogas.93360/

As far as the tank size, would there be any way to get a tank that is a little bit bigger? I would go with a 29 gallon tank as the minimum for most standard sized seahorses. It is better to have a taller tank than a shorter tank. I would also recommend getting a chiller. Seahorses can survive in warmer tanks but they will thrive in a cooler tank (below 75). Some seahorses need the temps to be even lower.

OP
OP
bumperbeetle

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first check out this article: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/intro-to-keeping-seahorses-by-krista-guogas.93360/

As far as the tank size, would there be any way to get a tank that is a little bit bigger? I would go with a 29 gallon tank as the minimum for most standard sized seahorses. It is better to have a taller tank than a shorter tank. I would also recommend getting a chiller. Seahorses can survive in warmer tanks but they will thrive in a cooler tank (below 75). Some seahorses need the temps to be even lower.
What a great read! Now that Ive read it I have a few other questions...The article mentioned insulating the display, what is the recommended (if any) method and/or material to be used?

Its great that it is possible to be housed with docile fish. I had been told that because they are such slow eaters, they will often starve because fish will usually eat all the food and so should only be kept in non-fish aquariums. Have you heard of this?

The substrate recommended was sand. Is there a particular grain size? I only ask because I have sand in my 92gl tank Im getting ready to take out and replace because Im really over the never ending sand storm from using such a fine sand....gets constantly blown all over the place!

Thanks again! Great Info!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great read! Now that Ive read it I have a few other questions...The article mentioned insulating the display, what is the recommended (if any) method and/or material to be used?

You could use insulated foam board to insulate the tank. This is something that you would want to do to prevent condensation which is caused by the differences in tank temp and the house temp.

Its great that it is possible to be housed with docile fish. I had been told that because they are such slow eaters, they will often starve because fish will usually eat all the food and so should only be kept in non-fish aquariums. Have you heard of this?

Absolutely! http://reef2reef.com/threads/fish-inhabitants-with-large-seahorses.97534/

The substrate recommended was sand. Is there a particular grain size? I only ask because I have sand in my 92gl tank Im getting ready to take out and replace because Im really over the never ending sand storm from using such a fine sand....gets constantly blown all over the place!

I use sugar sized oolite. I do not keep my seahorse tank as high flow as my reef.

Thanks again! Great Info!
I put my responses in red. :)

OP
OP
bumperbeetle

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good to know that there is so much useful information out there! I will definately be looking into that free horse keeping course that Ocean Rider offers before I get too far ahead of myself.

Thanks again Krista!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime! Please keep us updated with our progress. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back