Aquariums with sump upgrade

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've always went with all in one aquariums, as they are simple and there's less chance of a leak. I'm looking at a couple different options that come with a sump and plumbing included. I'm looking at either a ProStar rimless V2 60, IM EXT 50, or IM EXT 75. I love the 60 cube style and the price point is less expensive for the water volume, but I'm not familiar with ProStar aquariums. I know IM generally makes quality aquariums, but they don't offer a cube in the size I'm looking for....plus they are more expensive. I'll post links to the ones I'm looking at. Does anyone here have experience with any of these models?
ProStar
IM 50
IM 75

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a 20+ year reefer who has gone from small tanks to 425g tank & sump system and back to 40g aio tanks. I'm really not such a big fan of sump/refugiums anymore.

Good luck.

OP
OP
ReeferFive-0

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a 20+ year reefer who has gone from small tanks to 425g tank & sump system and back to 40g aio tanks. I'm really not such a big fan of sump/refugiums anymore.

Good luck.
Thank you for the response. Do you find it's more difficult to keep nitrate and phosphate in check without a sump with either a refugium or algae scrubber? Aside from having more room in the display a sump allows for more options for managing parameters...that's my thought anyway. What type of filtration have you found works best in the AIO chamber? I added the In Tank tower to my Biocube 32 and use filter floss, biological media, and a protein skimmer in the second chamber and still have to do very large water changes to keep nitrate and phosphate in check. I just ordered a small refugium light and a small amount of chaeto for the bottom compartment of the tower. Time will tell if it makes a difference.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think because I have a very light bio-load in both tanks, I don't have any issues with nitrates or phosphates. The coral tank has no fish and the local tank only has 2.

Both tanks have just a filter sock and a layer of filter media right behind the overflow intake grille. It's easy to clean and keeps the filter sock from loading up too fast.

That's it. No carbon, no phosphate reducers, no skimmer. And I only do 20g water changes about every 3 months. I only have to clean the glass every 2 to 3 weeks!

Here is a recent photo of the just 1 year old coral tank.

Attachments

• 20240207_104342.jpg
    20240207_104342.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 16

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back