Seahorse tank

Jprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Just a few shots of my stable. It's a 26 bow with T5 lighting. I have a M/F pair of H. Reidi horses named Romeo & Juliet. I have some softies, Zoas and a few varieties of Caulerpa in there, that the horses love hitching to and playing in. I will try to get some pics of my 40 breeder up soon too. Hope you enjoy the pics!!

Attachments

• 101_1668.jpg
    101_1668.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 101_1671.jpg
    101_1671.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 101_1677.jpg
    101_1677.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 144

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and horses! Never kept seahorses myself but they seem like amazing creatures.

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

I split a 33 long into a sump/fuge and plan on putting Sea Horses in the Fuge area. It has a nice slow flow and I have been told that is best that way for the Sea Horses.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen full grown pairs in 13 gallon nano's.

I am hoping to get a pair of dwarf sea horses from ORA for my tank. It is roughly 17 gallons.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't mean a pair should be in a 13 gallon. 29 gallon is min for a single seahorse, add 10 gallons more for a pair.

Edit: Just realize you were referring to dwarfs... yeah that's a whole different story. 10 gallon is huge for them! :)

Last edited:

Aquascaper

Pro: Fish, Inverts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Pony Ranch!!!

I have seen full grown pairs in 13 gallon nano's.

I am hoping to get a pair of dwarf sea horses from ORA for my tank. It is roughly 17 gallons.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

ORA- doesn't sell dwarf ponies @ present- but I am involved with a research institute that is working on changing that:bigsmile::tongue:

The reason they don't is because they sell there ponies Captive Bred and eating Prepared foods...

the institute that I mentioned is raising Captive Bred Dwarfs and we are working on switching the 3rd generation CB over to frozen baby brine:waaaht:

ORA- sends their dwarf biz to the institute-
They are CB- but as for now there is still a need to provide live food:squigglemouth:

OP
OP
J

Jprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! 26 is a bit small for a pair. Any plans of upgrading in your near future?

No plans for an upgrade right now, but then again, when are us reefers REALLY done upgrading??? LOL. All the research I have done prior to getting them (tons & tons!!) suggests that a 26 bow is more than enough for 2 horses. Suggested is 10 gallons per horse and a minimum of 3X the height of a horse which this tank is. Would I love to upgrade to a bigger tank? Hell yeah!! But for right now, they are doing fine.

Last edited:

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a really good beginners guide to seahorses: http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/careguide/careguide.pdf

You are correct that 3x their height is what is ideal for them to breed in. They can be housed in less than 3x their height without causing disease issues, but they will rarely successfully breed.

I think your 10 gallons per horse comes from the addition of a horse after the min tank size is met. 29 gallons is usually the min, plus 10 gallons for each seahorse after that. You'll see in that article that just about every type of seahorse is recommended to be in a min of 29 gallons, except for some of the slightly smaller and less common seahorses.

It's great that your seahorses are happy and they look like they are well fed. The tank size plays more into the long term health of the seahorses in order to ward off bacterial diseases. Do you have a sump on this tank? That would at least help to get your water volume up a bit.

scottmdebord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice i have been wanting to set one up but i travel alot for work and i have alway been told they are really hard to take care of any truth to that

Custom Aquaria LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet horses! Would love to set up a stable! Ever look at adding some halimeda/coin algae? I have it growing off coral from a trans-ship and seems like it would be a good addition for horses.

OP
OP
J

Jprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice i have been wanting to set one up but i travel alot for work and i have alway been told they are really hard to take care of any truth to that

I have only had them for a short time, but right now it is no different than a regular tank. The only thing I see changing is prunning the Macro as it grows in. I am keeping a journal of sorts, just to document my experiance for reference.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back