Planted Seahorse tank

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to build a seahorse tank since I setup my most recent 50 gallon column tank. In fact, that tank was originally supposed to be a seahorse DT but I ended up making it our main reef DT instead. I'm starting this thread in hopes it will motivate me to move forward with this project and do it properly. I'd also like to bounce ideas off of the reefing community since I am still in that research phase.

As it stands, I don't think the saltwater tanks we have setup are quite ready for seahorses:

55 gallon column
- Stock:
clownfish pair, Lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, firefish, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, 3x peppermint shrimp, Halloween hermit, scarlet leg hermit, blue leg hermit, other light CUC
- Coral: Birdsnest, Hammer, Candy cane, Firework Clove Polyp, gorgonian, GSP, various Zoa's (all corals are frag size)
- Filter: Tidal 75 HOB
- Light: Kessil A360x w/ deflector
- Flow: 2x Tunze (not sure of flow rate but will add once I check)

20230430_180855.jpg

40 Breeder "F*** around and find out" tank
- Stock:
Arrow Crab. That's it. And some bristle worms if you want to count them.
- Coral: I have thrown a couple frags in from main DT. Gorgonian included.
- Light: random T5 we found (~150W I think)
- Flow: 1x Fluval Sea CP3

20230519_171942~2.jpg

Both tanks are low flow at the moment. At least low flow in regards to coral. However, I think maybe a bit too much for seaborses. Since the column is already setup as a reef tank, I think I would need to adjust quite a bit to get this one ready for seahorses. I'd at least need to add good hitching posts and I don't think there's room for good ones.

The 40 breeder, however, could easily be adapted. I am not running filtration at the moment but can do so easily. I'd also want to add some rooted macroalgae to the sandbed and maybe some other kinds of macro as well to give a lot of good hitching posts.

Do you guys have any thoughts on converting these tanks? I'm also considering getting another 30 to 50 gallon tank and using that. But might setup one of these tanks as a sort of "wait here until actual seahorse tank is ready" tank but that's only if I can provide them with ideal living conditions for them to grow and prosper in the meantime.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man!
my SH take us take forever.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get the cycle going…

anyway do under estimate the amount of flow they can handle.
the key is to have spots of low med and heigh flow in the tank.
they will use the flow to blast off the algae in their bodies.

I went with a 36x 26x22 tank for my set up.
altho I was thinking if file 40 br

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you keep some of the fish like the firefish for example?
Having one or two small passive fish might be good with the seahorses...
Let me know what you do as I am about to rebuild my 60g damsel tank and although I have some ideas I am curious as to what route you will take with your tank.

OP
OP
M

magicSmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you keep some of the fish like the firefish for example?
Having one or two small passive fish might be good with the seahorses...
Let me know what you do as I am about to rebuild my 60g damsel tank and although I have some ideas I am curious as to what route you will take with your tank.
I think I would keep all the fish if I went with the route of using that tank. Everyone is peaceful except for the clownfish. Even then, they only get aggressive towards fish or inverts that get too close to their pot. That could become an issue though since the seahorses may float into that area and not have the best defense.

A_Tired_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would keep all the fish if I went with the route of using that tank. Everyone is peaceful except for the clownfish. Even then, they only get aggressive towards fish or inverts that get too close to their pot. That could become an issue though since the seahorses may float into that area and not have the best defense.
I just wanted to add my two cents and piggy-back off of this.

My 75 gallon (seahorse tank) houses most of my fish along with my 4 seahorses. In there with the seahorses I have 4 Clowns, 3 Firefish, 4 Banggai Cardinalfish, a Mystery Wrasse, a Dwarf Puffer, a Goatfish and an orange Anthia. These guys have been living together for around 3 months and I haven't had any problems keeping them in the same tank. My clowns are usually only "aggressive" when feeding however I combat this with target feeding the seahorses. Everyone else tends to keep to themselves and/or play with others. My seahorses do whatever they want :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

When adding fish/creatures to the 75 I just keep in mind if the new tankmate is hyper aggressive or could be an opportunistic feeder. If they are, and we still want them, they get tossed into the 32 Biocube. Which currently houses a red Reef Angler and some Dwarf Brittle Stars.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Sea horses need to have a high tank or a wide tank, or does it matter?
I have been wanting to start one with my old 25 gal AIO that is just sittin around collecting dust.
do they need special light like corals do or?

A_Tired_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Sea horses need to have a high tank or a wide tank, or does it matter?
I have been wanting to start one with my old 25 gal AIO that is just sittin around collecting dust.
do they need special light like corals do or?
I have been told to go with a longer tank versus a taller tank as seahorses are "vertically challenged". Meaning they don't do so hot swimming up and down. I've also noticed that my group like to swim laps along the front wall.

As for a light, I have finger gorgonians and plant to get some macro algae in the future, I'm saving to buy a nice AI light to keep macro algae and other corals alive and growing. So maybe a good coral light would be beneficial if you're looking to get photosynthetic hitching points for them, like gorgonians.

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told to go with a longer tank versus a taller tank as seahorses are "vertically challenged". Meaning they don't do so hot swimming up and down. I've also noticed that my group like to swim laps along the front wall.

As for a light, I have finger gorgonians and plant to get some macro algae in the future, I'm saving to buy a nice AI light to keep macro algae and other corals alive and growing. So maybe a good coral light would be beneficial if you're looking to get photosynthetic hitching points for them, like gorgonians.
Thankyou. I do have some Current USA lights that I grew corals with before so those should work then.
and the tank I have slow and long so even better. OK well looks like I have another project to start :) thanks for the inspiration

A_Tired_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou. I do have some Current USA lights that I grew corals with before so those should work then.
and the tank I have slow and long so even better. OK well looks like I have another project to start :) thanks for the inspiration
Not a problem! My fiancé and I started the reef tank journey with Seahorses so I have mountains of notes and research. If those lights have worked for you in the past then I would assume they'll work for the seahorse tank.

Also not to be weird, I see that you're in Port St. Lucie. I suggest if you really want seahorses go to Fintastic Aquariums in Jensen Beach. I bought all of my babies there and have not had any problems keeping them. The crew there is super nice and information!

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem! My fiancé and I started the reef tank journey with Seahorses so I have mountains of notes and research. If those lights have worked for you in the past then I would assume they'll work for the seahorse tank.

Also not to be weird, I see that you're in Port St. Lucie. I suggest if you really want seahorses go to Fintastic Aquariums in Jensen Beach. I bought all of my babies there and have not had any problems keeping them. The crew there is super nice and information!
I have gotten most of my corals from them! I know that place well, and they have alot of my money :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

A_Tired_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a pic of your SH tank?
I have a slightly out of date video of the 75 seahorse tank. It's just missing the puffer and the goatfish.
I wanted the seahorses to have their own spot in the tank, so the right side has a little alcove that we've dubbed the "Seahorse Lagoon". It has their finger gorgonians in there and that's were I also plan to put the macro algae.
We also pointed the wave maker toward the sand so that the seahorse lagoon doesn't have any strong current. Most of the time that's were the leftover foods ends up which is good for the seahorses to easily snack on. This also makes it the crabs favorite spot to hang.

Back